Tags:  No tags yet. 

Stokkebye- English Opulence

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by wadmacallit
  • Latest reply from lestrout
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wadmacallit

Login to Send PM

trying to track down some peter stokkebye english opulence, and am finding nothing but dead ends. i started smoking it about 6 months ago when i saw a few really dusty tins on the top shelf of my local tobacco shop. they said they have been there for awhile, so i bought a tin to try.... well it is definitely one of my favorites. Im down to my last ounce, and cannot find it anywhere.
    anyone know where i can possible track it down, bulk preferably, tins just as good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard wadmacallit.

If you scroll down the page a bit you'll see a listing of "Site Sponsors".
    Give them a good going over.
    If you don't see it, try emailing them.
    One of them could put you on the right track.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, the girl I spoke with at Lane's is trying to find out details about it, maybe it's been named to something else, whatever. There is no "English Opulence" that Lane's imports at this time. She'll give me a call back when she finds something out and I'll let you know soon as she does.

I've also read that it's very similar to "Proper English", so if it turns out you can no longer find what you're looking for, at least you can give something else a shot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No call back yet, but I see the last review on this tobacco was around '06, most likely they no longer produce it. The "Proper English" blend from Stokkebye is compared to it favorably, and comes by the pound at a reasonable cost.

The problem with that is you'll still be disappointed because those tins you found at your local shop were well aged. If this tobacco is your bliss, then I feel for you, same thing happened with me and Charatan's English mixture.

Anyway, will update when she calls back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

wadmacallit

Login to Send PM

thanks for the response guys. I'm going to keep looking but feel it might be a negative turnout. I guess i will have to can up the little bit i have left and save it for a rainy day. I will try the "Proper English" but did figure what i had was well aged so I'll just store some of that as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wadmacallit,

Really, you have a 2 part problem here. First, is that the tobacco you've grown to really enjoy is no longer produced. Second, is that the example of it you know and love, was well aged before you ever got your hands on it, and is most likely a completely different animal from the original cut which you can't get anyway.

The girl called back (very nice young woman, and very helpful) and said that the guy she spoke with about it just doesn't know what the English Opulence blend consisted of, and can't make any specific recommendations. There are a few I'd suggest trying, one I mentioned above (Proper English), and another would be the Newminster Ultimate English.

The only other alternative you might have would be to send what you have left to a good blender and see if he can match it for you, but even if he can it won't quite be the same until it has some years on it.

Best I can do for you, buddy, wish it were more. Been right where you are and it's no fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Wad! I've never smoked the blend you're talking about but I've smoked both Mike has mentioned and personally, I'd go with the Proper over the Ultimate English. Just my 2 cents, but I smoked both and enjoyed the PE more. Good luck to ya.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke a lot of the Proper English; it is one of my favorite blends. You might also try English Luxury and English Oriental Supreme. I can also recommend Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme; I was really enjoying it until I started to have some mouth problems which I have reason to believe are related to the Turkish tobaccos used in that particular blend. That aside, I still smoke and enjoy both Proper English and English Luxury. Another one to consider is Larry's Blend from Hearth and Home. It is my favorite blend. Good luck in your search.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wadma - are you located on the East Coast? Several years ago I found several orphan paint cans of this blend. It looks like PS discontinued this for English Luxury, Proper English, Balkan Supreme and English Oriental Supreme. The last 3 have more Oriental character than the Opulence and are sweeter.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chispa, warren, wyfbane, metalheadycigarguy