PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
The local b&m has a deal where if you bring in your pipe they'll give you a free bowl of any of their bulks as a sample. Last week I tried my first english blend (PS english oriental supreme) and I really liked it. While searching the net for prices I noticed that the eos has the same description as PS english luxury. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two tobaccos is?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't know, but I've had the one you tried and PS Balkan Supreme and they are both awesome! I tend to favor the Balkans but the Balkan Supreme was the best of the two.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
English Luxury and Oriental Supreme, while containing basically the same ingredients, are different enough that there is a discernible difference to most anyone who smoke them. English Luxury, IMO, has a peppery, charred meat flavor that isn't present in Oriental Supreme. Personally I like English Luxury a little bit more than Oriental Supreme. YMMV.
-Jason

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I have seen the reviews on TR but still couldn't figure out what the differences were. I think I'll be ordering some eos. I liked the sweet, mild smokey incense-like flavor and aroma.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
As long as I'm talking about Stokkebye blends, I have to say that I smoked some bullseye flake the other night and I REALLY liked it. I've smoked a couple bowls Escudo and I prefer PS LBF.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey Sup, welcome to the site.
I don't have the time served to have anything "aged" yet, but when it comes to LBF vs Escudo I like LBF if I'm on the move or have a smaller window to smoke. Escudo I enjoy when I'm being lazy and watching the cars go by on the street.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
The three b&ms near me (central Texas) sell Stokkebye as their bulks. There's one blend thats pretty good but I don't know which Stokkebye it is. It's called Texas Ranger at one place and New Braunfels Best at the other places.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
sup, supdog, welcome aboard the boards and stuff.
Peter Stokkebye does make some nice aromatics, I like their PS-24 Nougat. Optimum and B&B are alright for cavendish.
I also like their Balkan Supreme, but I'm starting to think that I need to try some of their other english blends too.
I have a few of their other blends I haven't tried yet.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
ive smoked both and really enjoyed them. as others have mentioned, ya cant beat the price. as for the LBF, its another winner in my books. so far ive enjoyed everything ive smoked of Stokkebye's and would recommend them to anyone!

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
all i have really tried is stokkebyes blends and i really enjoy them. eos is at the moment my favorite. his Aromatic Dutch Sliced is very tasty aswell.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I was at a b&m in Austin earlier in the week, and was told that they were doing away with Stokkebye. I don't know who "they" are, but was told that is why they are carrying Newminster. I hope that this is not true, but if it is I will have to stock up.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
English Luxury and Oriental Supreme, while containing basically the same ingredients, are different enough that there is a discernible difference to most anyone who smoke them. English Luxury, IMO, has a peppery, charred meat flavor that isn't present in Oriental Supreme. Personally I like English Luxury a little bit more than Oriental Supreme. YMMV.
-Jason
I tend to agree with your take here and I do prefer English Luxury to the Oriental Supreme. However I very much prefer Proper English over both. All are good values price-wise.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Because of this thread I dug into my stash of Peter Stokkebye I hadn't gotten around to trying.
English Oriental Supreme - in short, too much oriental, not enough english. The flavors come together all wrong for my palette.
Peaches and Cream - This blend has cavendish in it, but the flavors that come through are all from the virginias and burleys. it has just a hint of sweetness, and the body of the smoke is what gives the impression of cream and peaches. It's actually quite smooth and even tasting. this is another aromatic I can add to my list of preferred.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Stopped in the local b&m and asked about Texas Ranger. It's Lane's RLP-6. I loaded a bowl of 1Q as a sample. They also have BCA. While I was there I bought an inexpensive churchwarden and got 2 oz of tobacco free. I chose one oz of each English Oriental Supreme and English Luxury. Both were on the dry side so she threw in a couple of humi-discs to rehydrate them.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Update: I have smoked a couple bowls of the EOS and EL. Jason, your description was spot on. While the EL was less sweet and more stout,I prefer EOS as it is a little sweeter and has more of that incense flavor and aroma I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.