PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Bought some meer chips off of Ebay, as many containers as would fit in their cheapest flat rate international box. If I were to double my smoking rate, these should last me at least five or ten years.
32981000010_927fc248fc_z.jpg

They even came with some gummi bears!
:puffy:

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Do they work better than nordings keystones? I think that's what they're called.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Silly people-- you chew them! Cleans the tartar and plaque stains right off your teeth, and a darn good source of magnesium as well.
Mix them in with your potted plant soil and it keeps the plants from drying out.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Meer chips are strictly for high-level initiates of a certain strain of eastern magical arts. When used properly in the ritual setting along with the secret incantations one can sometimes successfully summon the White Goddess. But this is a dangerous thing to attempt for those with the wrong intentions...you don't want to get on her bad side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unf2Y6BS8aY

Jun 27, 2016
In my pipe, I haven't tried the adacama pellets, which I think are expanded clay, or the keystones, which I believe are lava.
I can say that these are much better than Denicool (silica chips) because the Denicool strips a lot of sweet flavor out of the smoke. Unlike the Denicool changing the flavor, these seem to change the character of the smoke for the better, kind of like a meer pipe (or meer-lined pipe, which is what I have), but not quite as good as the real thing.
These chips might absorb a little moisture, but I think what actually happens is that they warm up a bit and allow condensation to occur further along, namely in the stem where my balsa filter is.
These will grab some tar, so you almost get a "bowl-in-review" type of flavor near the bottom. I can usually tell if I like something if I am heating them up to release the flavors at the end of a bowl.
When I dump them, some are brown or black, and some parts are white where they were covered, and they look/feel/smell dry, which is why I don't think that they actually absorb much moisture.
These also hoist up the tobacco. This is nice if the draught hole is higher than usual. Some meers are drilled this way, which I think is what these are mainly intended for. I put these in a meer pipe with a high draught hole, and I can smoke 99% / all of the tobacco without drawing in embers and ash. My meer-lined Brebbia has a higher draught hole, but I have found that I like to put these in all of my pipes.
These do not really hurt the draw unless I set them in carelessly and plug up the draught hole. All I do to avoid that is pack the pipe with a cleaner in it, sticking a little bit into the chamber. Then I remove cleaner and check the draw. If it's not good, I usually just have to put the cleaner back in and push it in a mm or so.
All I can say is don't knock 'em 'unless you tried 'em, as I miss 'em when they aren't down there. :puffpipe:
Also wanted to include that powdering this and adding egg white in the correct ratio is supposed to be good for gluing broken meer back together, in case I ever need to do that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use Akadama because I always have it on hand for my bonsai. Really takes the heat out of "bitey" blends.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I think what actually happens is that they warm up a bit and allow condensation to occur further along, namely in the stem
That is where condensation occurs anyway assuming the tobacco itself is not dripping with juice, because once the smoke hits the cooler shank it cools quickly and the moisture drips back down to the bottom of the bowl.
they look/feel/smell dry, which is why I don't think that they actually absorb much moisture
The absorption is there, but it pulls it into the center. They won't look or feel wet until literally soaked though.
But I wonder your needing both these AND a balsa filter?
As to the egg white thing, sounds like a good tip---- I might have to try that.

Jun 27, 2016
I feel that the meer-chips don't really seem to wick up much moisture and that I rely more on the balsa for moisture-absorption. Perhaps they dry out during the last 1/3 bowl. One day I'll split some open right after a smoke, and some after a third-bowl or half-bowl to see what is going on.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
@balkisobrains
Thanks for sharing the chips picture and details. Really interesting. If possible, would you post a picture of your pipe loaded with the chips (before the tobacco) and then a picture of the darkened chips when dumped? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.