PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I am still very new to the pipe. I have not even been at this for 6 months yet. As I study the wealth of information available to me about tobacco, it becomes obvious to me that building a stock of tobacco is an important thing to do. Although there are a number of reasons to do this, I have recently realized that one of them is that a lot of the blends that I read about and want to try and enjoy need to be aged. For this reason, I cannot wait and stock my cellar until I know what I like if I don't know what I like yet and I have not even tasted an aged sample yet anyway. At this point in my journey, I am really having a lot of fun reading all the reviews and comments and finding out what everyone likes and dislikes. I especially like to see people declare their top 5 blends or their desert island blend(s).
For these reasons I have started building a cellar. I have 14lbs now. I still consider myself incapable deciding what blends I will eventually call my favorites. I am not experienced enough to call any tobacco good or bad. But I have stocked up on blends that not only interest me but are highly regarded by many here on these forums. If some of these turn out to be not to my liking someday, I will have aged tins to trade for some that are. When I also consider that tobacco may become harder to obtain in the future, it is like having money in the bank (or in my mattress). I know that the blends I have stocked are loved by many and therefore have re-sale value. I will have an aged cellar waiting for me when I am ready.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
14 pounds is a heck of a start for a "newbie"! I've been smoking pipe more seriously now for 2 years, and have about 9 pounds.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
@tarak
I just last week bought 2lbs of Dunhill in the P&C sale and then 1lb of Pease blends and 1.5lbs of Rattrays in the other P&C sale.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well! its to late for this one, he's hooked big time no saving him now. Enjoy the journey an be careful buying tobacco is VERY habit forming.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I'm working on building a cellar as well, a few tins at a time. Some blends I've tried and some I haven't. I'd say it's well under 3 pounds but gotta start somewhere! It's a fine pursuit imo.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Kudos, on your endeavor and you think the same way I do. So 118 lbs since 08/2014 and I am working on straight VA and some VAPER's to round it out. The straight VA's are for possible blending and they will age the best so a win-win. Good luck.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im sorry and I dont want to "hijack" the tread, but im enjoying Lane Lmt 1Q alot, and thinking about stocking it up, will it get worse with time?

Im thinking jarring it and its not available where I am at the moment

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im sorry and I dont want to "hijack" the tread, but im enjoying Lane Lmt 1Q alot, and thinking about stocking it up, will it get worse with time?

Im thinking jarring it and its not available where I am at the moment

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Why in Gods name.... Peck? Why indeed. Why could he possibly be going over the top with his purchases? Some people are crazy I guess? What's your excuse? ;)

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
It just came to me. I don't know why. I'd never call it but just did click.

10 lbs+... Yes, I like it very much.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why in God's name do you need that much tobacco?
Peck... :rofl:

Im thinking jarring it and its not available where I am at the moment.
Aros don't age well. The flavorings fade. They may be good for a few years, but are not for the long haul.

May 4, 2015
I have no less than 10 blends going at a time, but I've never had more than maybe a pound and a half of tobacco in my care at any one time. I'm obviously doing this wrong.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
double post...
So.
14lbs is a great start.
As Sable said, aros don't age well. Virginia blends tend to develop well and become more complex. Latakia will soften and the blend will become more homogenized over time.
-- Pat

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Interpreted post:
As I study the wealth of information available to me about tobacco, it becomes obvious to me that building a stock of tobacco is an important thing to do.
Read: I am hopelessly in the steely and unyielding grip of TAD. I need enablers.
For these reasons I have started building a cellar. I have 14lbs now.
Read: It's worse than I originally thought. Please reassure me that this is somehow *normal*.
If some of these turn out to be not to my liking someday, I will have aged tins to trade for some that are.
Read: It's so out of control already, I am building the Helter-Skelter Cellar-cause I'm the boss of me and I just don't care.
I will have an aged cellar waiting for me when I am ready.
I want more. Help. please....

Status
Not open for further replies.