PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Its probably been asked before, but I could not find it. Im planning to stuck up on:
1. 1Q bulk, store in jars

2. Molto Dolce, sealed box as they are sold
I know that aromatics wont improve with age, but will they get so much worse its not worth it?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
They can't possibly get any worse. Sorry, just had to get that in first! I don't know about really wet aromatics, but I do know light aromatics (the ones not referred to as goopers) hold up just fine to ageing. Not much change, good or bad.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Can't say about MD, but I just got some Creme Brulé ( kinda bulk version of MD), it is soaked with topping. Literally soaked. Will no be buying it again for sure

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I would suggest buying tinned aromatic if you're looking to cellar it for a while. Buying bulk generally will dry faster, although not all the time. Just make sure to have good mason jars with good seals.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
They can't possibly get any worse.
Completely agree, but that's just my personal taste when it comes to such heavily cased aromatics (especially MD), or most aromatics for that matter. Anyway, and to the point, I wouldn't worry about stocking up on these tobaccos as I'm confident they will be around for some time, and it's my understanding that these types of tobaccos don't hold up all that well to aging as they supposedly lose some of their taste. Of course if your concern is about future taxes, and or future availability that's another matter. Personally, I wouldn't be all that concerned about it, but it's your choice.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Opened a large jar (1lb.) of 1-Q that has been cellared for 5 years...better than when fresh in my op.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It's kind of funny how so many guys bad mouth aromatics, (I own a lot of some of the drier aromatics, but haven't been smoking them for a while) but there is a Russ O post from last year, where he says that about 80% of P&C sales are aromatics. 8O

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I had a bag of McClelland Townsman Cavendish Blue that was about 5 years old when I openned it. The stuff was absolutely incredible. I agree with the recommendation to buy tins or sealed packages for stocking up on aromatics. I have had good luck with mason jars, but I find that 1Q developes a sort of mealy mouth feel in the smoke over time. I remember reading somewhere that the casings break down over time as well, which may turn your investment into something less than desirable. A ten year old tin of Peterson's Special Reserve that I purchased once was horrible. Good luck!

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I don't smoke heavily cased aromatics because I simply don't like them. As far as other folks smoking them, I say smoke and let smoke. There are many people who do not like the aroma of the latakia I greatly enjoy and I wish not to be hypocritical. One thing I love about heavily cased aromatics is when a brother is smoking in public and I get to catch a whiff of their smoke...mmmmm :) Cherry reminds me of my Father when I was quite young, around 5 or so, before he and my Mother split. Good memory.
My understanding is that cased aromatics will hold up well with time, but longevity depends on the humectant used. Water will preserve differently than sugared water which will, in turn, preserve differently than propylene glycol. I say give it a shot.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If you're planning on keeping Sutliff blends long term, I'd jar them up. The cardboard tins don't hold up well over time.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Twinkles are impossibe to destroy. They will survive nuclear winter. Goopy aros are in same category. Even if aros sell more watch newbie threads they all start with something sweet for the taste or room odor, Then complain of tongue bite and quit. Some correlation. Shel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A point worth remembering, though I repeat myself: Although a significant percent of Forums members smoke mostly non-aromatics, the pipe tobacco market at large is dependent on aromatics to stay afloat. From the blends offered, I would say a majority of pipe smokers smoke aromatics mostly or entirely, so us non-aro guys and gals depend on all that flavored leaf to sustain our market for our snazzy non-aromatics.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have smoked aromatics most of my smoking life, since joining this forum I have expanded my taste to VA's, VaPer's, and recently Turkish tobaccos, Latakia forward tobacco appreciation still eludes me.
Having said that, a great number of aromatics make for a wonderful smoke for me. I have many blends of them in my cellar and have found (so far) in the past years when having opened one, it can be in a number of conditions depending on the blend and its state of moisture upon cellaring it. My experience with aromatics in my cellar has been that I have found one and only one to have been less than great when opening the jar and smoking it. It was pretty dry not near dust, but upon reconstituting was fine. I do believe over the long haul, in respect to the added flavorings, they meld quite a bit. But we are all different and also constantly learning in this area of the pipe tobacco story.
Many variables are at play here but it is my take that most aromatics do not suffer and may even improve (that some toppings meld or are more evenly absorbed, over time to me) when cellard.
Cellaring will not make a poor quality tobacco better anymore than a poor quality wine will improve with cellaring.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
If you are worried - get one of those little tobacco pouch humidiscs and throw that in your mason jar with you Lane 1Q.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Cellar what you like. As others have said, I'd store sealed tins though and not jarred bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.