PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nial23

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
I need help. I quit smoking in 1977. I recently bought a filter pipe, most expensive pipe I've ever owned. Today I smoked it for the first time with McClelland Clasic Virginia, a bulk tobacco. While I haven't smoked since 1977 I didn't expect the experience to be so bad. The tobacco stank like what you get from cigarette smokers. I remember smoking MacBaren Virginia Flake and it smelled nice. Is it me and the fact that I'm basically a non smoker? Can anyone recommend a tobacco that isn't an aromatic but also doesn't stink like a burning tire. I hope I haven't just invested over $200 in something I was hoping to enjoy. I was looking forward to spending my dealing years in a cloud of tobacco smoke.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"I was looking forward to spending my dealing years in a cloud of tobacco smoke."
Hi Nial, That's a great idea you have there, your wish is mine too. All I can say is practice? I started with pipes right away after quitting cigs 15 months ago (42 years in) and I 'm enjoying the hell out of it. Hope you can too. I've always loved the smell of pipe tobacco. Almost any kind. In all those years after quitting, did you like/dislike the smoke aroma?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I was a non-smoker (even an anti-smoker) for close to 47 years before I tried a pipe. There are some blends out there that simply remind me too much of cigarette smoke to be pleasant (in my case, Sir Walter Raleigh is the main culprit). Individual tastes vary enough that I'm hesitant to recommend anything specific, but buy an ounce or two of anything you're curious about, and give it more than just one bowlful (if you can stand it - I haven't gotten around to a second bowlful of SWR yet myself... but I've got a dozen other blends on hand that don't remind me of cigarette smoke).
If you remember MacBaren Virgina Flake fondly, give that one a try and see if it still holds up. If so, you're on your way. If not, check with whoever sold you the Classic Virginia and see if they've got something a little less cigaretty...

sigthrottle

Lurker
Mar 20, 2015
His nial23, I can think of two things here. I've never used a filter pipe, so I don't know if there's a break-in period... Maybe your tobacco is bad. Or maybe, and I don't mean to be presumptuous, you could be smoking too fast/hot. I've found that if I smoke too fast the tobacco stinks like ammonia.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Probably best to try all the old reliable drug store OTC blends like Prince Albert and the like before getting the expensive in relative terms tinned tobacco.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
"stinking tobacco"

Now I have some new inspiration for practical jokes to eternally ghost one's pipe or one's mouth.

:twisted:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had a 5 yr. old jar of 2010 that was just awful. Not only was it very cigarette-like, but the smoke volume was thin, and it had little or no body. IMO this is a blending leaf that only an experienced pro, or a very lucky amateur, should consider toying with. I wasted a lot of time and a quantity of other varieties trying to rescue this stuff to no avail. My advice to restart your involvement would be to buy a tin of G.L. Pease -- practically anything that sounds appealing to you. Maybe Haddo's Delight. For a quality Virginia, I was delightfully surprised by Sam Gawith's Spring Time Flake.
Also, a new pipe can taste downright disgusting if the inside of the bowl has been stained. Peterson has been known for dip-staining their pipes, resulting is a foul taste for about 10 or more bowls; but many "clean" bowls can taste awful until the briar comes "into season".
I say: ditch the 2010, and hang-in there with your pipe and a better blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tastes change. You may not like that blend, or that batch of that blend. You may not like smoking any more. There's no law of nature at work here. Depends on what you like. My favorite mild-to-medium blend (one of them) is Nat Sherman 536, an English blend. Buy a tin of that (or something else you think will be really good) and try it. And/or buy a set of five or six one once bags of bulk tobacco and see what takes your fancy. If it's not tasty to you, leave it alone. Keep the pipe as a memento of your smoking years, or sell it here on Forums to recoup some of your investment. Best of luck!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Everything Cortez ^^^ just said! It very easliy could have been your "New" pipe, and IMHO it would be best to avoid OTC cheap stuff, and get something from a quality tobacconist like GL Pease. Get a MMCC and try the same tobacco in that, it will tell you if it's your pipe or the tobacco, or both.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I thought this may be about Black Irish Twist. I've never smelled or tasted anything so foul. Mike Phillips said it is the only tobacco his daughter said that the room note smelled like schitt. PA would be a good place to start and then progress to GLP blends and you can go from there. Lots of variety out there to try and you will find something to like. Hang in there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
MMCC= Mickey Mouse Club Canteen?
get something from a quality tobacconist
McClelland is a top notch tobacco blending house that specializes in quality Virginia blends, it's what they're known for.
I do agree that part of the off taste could be that you had it in a brand new pipe. I'd give it a few more bowls. If it still tastes odd and leaves a bad room note I'd move on to another blend. Mac Baren still makes their Virginia Flake and it's very reasonable at around $8 for a 50 gram tin. I'd also suggest their Modern Virginia Flake. That was blended to give a nice Virginia flavor and has just enough top dressing in it to leave a more pleasant room note.
You might also want to give some aromatics a try. It won't hurt to spend about $4 and order up an ounce of Lane Limited's 1Q to give it a go.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
I'm not familiar with that blend, but I've had similar experiences with a variety of VA's and VA-Bur tobaccos that were all highly recommended. Some are good and some just end up tasting like cigarettes, which I hate.
The enjoyment and flavors can vary from person to person too. For myself, while Virginia's are really hit or miss, aromatics and English blends have all been good to excellent.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
To be fair, many regards Virginia tobacco from McClelland as some of the best Virginia tobacco available today.
My imagination of a stinking tobacco would be something called 'Blue Cheese Grousemoor Twist'.

The tin label will read, "Hand-stripped flue-cured Zimbabwe leaves are twisted to marry and mature and the resulting rope is stoved to deepen the flavor by caramelizing the sugars. Then a generous amount of full ripped blue Stilton cheese and Mediterranean garlic are added as toppings, with a final touch of Lemongrass".

Status
Not open for further replies.