PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Why my cobs stink? Doesn't matter what I smoke in them, couple hour later they start smelling like burning paper...

Smoking too hot?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
What kind of cob? If it is a MM cob it shouldn't stink. A cheap Chinese one on the otherhand will stink big time.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
How old are the cobs?

i've got 4 MM cobs that I've purchased in the last 2 months 4 more on the way.

I always run a pipe cleaner through them after they have cooled off and when I am done a smoke I always take the small pick on my czech tool and make sure there is no debris at the very bottom of my cob below the air hole.
I've noticed on all of my cobs that there is a small gap beneath the air hole and the bottom of the pipe. Don't know why, there just is. I always make a point to get the small bit of tobacco debris that lodges in there after a smoke, out. My reasoning is that if I don't, it might build up (not cake) and give off an odor.

But other than that my cobs are my best smokers. You will need a flashlight to see what I mean. I always use a small flashlight to check the bottom after each smoke.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here's one possible reason:
th

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
They are MM cobs. Seconds from grab bag. I clean them right after finishing the bowl. Clean them vigorously. Even scrubbing inside walls a bit.

Jul 21, 2015
have you ever tried leaving them outside in a warm dry place to dry and air out for awhile? I agree with Shikano 53 that the heel is where your smell is coming from. might try to mud the bottom if its bad.
Aj

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Ben,

Clean the heel out really well and then put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at about 75 C or so for about 30 - 45 minutes.

Make sure you take the stem out.

Treat them like briars, let them dry out and don't oversmoke them. Also, put then in front of a fan and let them dry. I always put a pipe cleaner in the stem after I finish my smoke for 15-20 mins and then every other week I will clean the cobs with pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and clean the bowl with Qtip dipped in alcohol as well. I know they are just "cobs" but they do need time to rest as well.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Moisture might be your problem. If you don't do a good job with a pipe cleaner after smoking moisture can definitely soak into the stem and bowl......it's a corn cob after all so easy for it to get musty if left warm and wet after a smoke. I now try to rest my cobs and only smoke each one every other day and have noticed that I have no more funky odor.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I know they are just "cobs" but they do need time to rest as well.
Pfft... you'd cringe at the way I treat my cob's :D I have them literally thrown in all places just in case I need a pipe... I have some in the truck, the garage, the shop... hell I have two that I smoke day after day several times a day (I smoke allot while driving and working in my shop, I WILL not use one of my briar pipes as I have dropped them many many times and don't want to damage my good pipes) ... MM Cobs can take a beating for sure!

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Every once and a while, I take mine out to the porch, find some direct sunlight, and let 'em dry.

Last edited:

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Well, I dried some of my cobs in the oven at work and it did help a bit. I still have about 8 or 9 unsmoked cobs and I decided to modify them a bit. Today I received some pipe mud and next week I am gonna take my cobs apart, shorten the wooden stem, so it does not sticks out inside the bowl. I also will install hardwood plugs, making sure there is no space left between the bowl bottom and the stem and slap some mud inside the bowl

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
What kind of cob? If it is a MM cob it shouldn't stink. A cheap Chinese one on the otherhand will stink big time.
My MM cob from the seconds had an unpleasent taste for the first 5-10 bowls, after that I found I can smoke bowls in a cob back to back like I could never in a briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.