PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
Been smoking pipes for a free years but just getting into starting to collect pipes as well. I see some pipes have a stinger in them. Just what for this do for smoking the pipe and what are the pro's and cons of having a pipe with one of these in them.
Thanks in advance for any and all info you guys can give me.
Thanks

Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most people don't like stingers much anymore. They were introduced way back, maybe in the 1920s or before, when pipe smoking was widely popular, as a means of giving a competitive edge to various brands of pipes with the claim that they gave a cooler, dryer, more flavorful smoke. When them come with pipes and are easily removable, most people take them out. They either save them in case they sell them later with the pipe, or throw them away. A few people say they find them beneficial and actually leave them in a pipe. Some pipes, like the Kaywoodie Drinkless models have them built into the pipe as part of the way the stem attaches to the shank. Kaywoodie does make other models of briar pipes, so you don't have to have this system to have a new Kaywoodie -- the Saxon model for example. Stingers aren't particularly popular today and are of dubious benefit to most people.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Back in the day, everyone it seems was trying to come up with their own way to get a "dry smoke", hence stingers in every shape and size.

I collect older Kaywoodies, which as mso489 mentions, have a built-in stinger. A lot of folks cut them off at the ball, so they will pass a cleaner. I keep my 4-ball stingers intact as I think that helps maintain the value of a collectible Kaywoodie. I think they smoke just fine with them, if you don't smoke to hot or fast (which we shouldn't do no matter the pipe).

Even Dunhill, Comoys, etc., had their own versions, with straw type tubes which could be easily removed.

Back in those days, the most common tobacco's were goopy aromatics, so I can see why a "dry" smoke would be desired.

With the bulk and variety of good tobacco blends we have available, that really renders stingers to the dust bin. Of course we still have "filter" pipes, which are very popular in Europe.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The stingers in old meerschaum pipes were made from goose or duck quills cemented into the amber stems. The ones in any briar pipes I used way back when were promptly cut out with a hack saw or pulled with a pair of plyers.

muddy41

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
I smoke mainly aero's so looks like I well stay away from stingers unless they are removable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.