PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2015
Hi guys,

In a nutshell, what's the purpose of a stinger and are the generally desirable or not?
On a related note, are all stingers removable or are some built into the tenon? Just picked up a vintage Kaywoodie from ebay, but the stinger seems to be stuck fast.
Cheers!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Stingers supposedly cool the smoke, and I really don't care for them as they make it difficult to run a pipe cleaner through the pipe. Some are removable, some not, but you could try soaking the stem in everclear to loosen the stinger.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
The only pipes I've had with stingers are Dr Plum, the've been removable. Quick wipe with a tissue and back in she goes. No problem

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The only Kaywoodie stingers I have seen are threaded so they can screw into the mortise; so, it's not something you would want to remove.

If you Google "Kaywoodie stingers" you'll find some relevant info.
I had a 1960's vintage Kaywoodie Supergrain with a permanent, threaded 3-hole stinger. Over the years, the bit ran out of alignment with the shank (sometimes referred to as over-clocking). I discovered that one could manually rotate the stinger until the bit and shank were aligned correctly once again. I did this by inserting a tiny screwdriver through the stinger holes and torquing it around. It was very stiff, but it did rotate. I can't really say that all such stingers rotate.

DSCN0340.jpg

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I don't really experience a cooler smoke with them, but if it came as part of the pipe then I like to keep in.
I once bought a pipe in need of some TLC, the stinger was completely wedged through the drawhole and into the chamber wall, was a nightmare trying to remove it!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I like smoking my Kaywoodies with the stingers. A lot of folks simply cut off the ball, just past the threads. Don't do that if your pipe is older, with a 4-hole stinger. I'd recommend smoking it first.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have two Dr. Grabow pipes that have removable stingers. I normally smoke them with the stinger.They tend to trap a lot of moisture during the smoke, and require me to take the pipe apart 1-2 times during the typical bowl to clear the moisture. They will eventually cause a gurgle if not cleared.
In my opinion, stingers are unnecessary, and best removed.
I own one Kaywoodie, and it gurgled badly within a minute of lighting up with the stinger attached. It performs much better (but not perfectly, still gurgles just not as often), with the useless stinger sawed off.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I honestly don't mind stingers if they are removable. The pipes that they are built in are just a pain to clean but other then that no big deal right? The purpose is to cool and prevent moisture in the smoke ... I really don't believe that other then the science of the metal absorbing heat but how much heat do they absorb....and as far as moisture being removed I think most of the time you end up with a gurgle in your bowl. Why because the moisture being "absorbed" has to go somewhere...

I agree with most who say saw them off or remove them. Best of luck and enjoy your smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.