PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Hi, Does anyone have a reccomendation for an aromatic that does not have a chemical taste? I'd really love to find one. Until then I'll stick to my non-aromatic blends. Thanks in advance for any recomendations you guys may provide.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I recommend that you try Half and Half, in the 14 oz. can.

The smaller packages of "over the counter" brands, to my mind tend to have a greater tendency toward preservatives. Where the larger quantities in re-sealable containers have a lessor need for the glycols.

I also buy in bulk from the local B&M. I have never had a problem with that "chemical taste" from any of them.
You might try PMing the members of the Drug Store Group. You should get some good recommendations there.... Better yet; Join the group!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I like the McClelland mixes seem light in topping to my taste buds . This would also include the Nording line . Iam not a big fan of the overdone topping such as Wessex and Stanwell .Hope this helps .

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
Sounds like you (like me) can taste Propylene Glycol. The only tobacco I have had that doesn't end up tasting like a little man pooped in my mouth has been Classic Burley Cake from Hearth and Home. I can smoke it all the way down to the dottle and still have a pleasing taste. Avoid Altadis and Lane, as well as all the drugstore stuff that is flavored. Half and Half doesn't say it is aromatic, so it is probably ok. I have had good luck with some of the C&D aro's but McLelland aro's leaves me cold. Heck, there are some non aro's I won't smoke because of the glycol. C&D says they only use natural flavorings, and my experience has been good.

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Google Boswells and i heard a good stories on the Christmas cookie and Berry Cobler. W.O. Larsen signature blend isnt bad at all but you want to transfer the tobacco contents into a mason jar since. Reasons being that the tin isnt really air tight.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Two Friends (Tarler & Pease) Valle Crucis: tastes like Juicy Fruit gum.

All natural but topped with some sort of ginger liqueur.

Check out the comments at Tobacco Reviews.com

Yummy as a treat, but not an all day smoke for me.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I think Solani Mystery X is probably the most naturally flavored tobaccos I've ever had. I taste much like a natural berry flavor.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Sapo, I didn't think of this when I first read your post. I like 4 noggins Essence of Vermont. It's maple but not syrupy. Quite tasty I think and it smokes like "regular' blends. I get nothing chemical from it and it's not heavy with PG etc. Plus it has perique/ Don't find that just every day in an aro.
And as shot pointed out, Boswells seems to be sort of the belle of the aromatic ball right now. I haven't yet had the pleasure, but I plan to get some Berry Cobbler and Christmas Cookie at some point.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Another of the most naturally flavoured aros was Cruise Ship. Taste like coconut. Very slight flavor. My wife said it smelled better than any blend I have ever smoked.

May 7, 2010
Actually you may want to have a look at the Cornell & Diehl catalogue. They pride themselves on making tobaccos that aren't laden with chemicals and propylene glycol, and have a large selection of aramatics "for those who think they don't like aromatics." I have to say after sampling their wares at the Chicago Pipe Show I have become a Cornell & Diehl marketing machine.

May 7, 2010
Also, Peter Stokkebye makes some aromatics that I have found pleasing. This is tough considering I mostly smoke flakes and don't like aromatics.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I have to agree with those that have mentioned Boswell. I've not tried the two mentioned by Jones but I do know they both have a strong following. Check out his blends on tobaccoreviews.com and you'll read guys saying things like it smells so good I want to eat it. As you already know I really like the one he calls Bear Blend.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've heard people say that Barbary Coast is an aromatic. Though the tin description doesn't seem to give that same sentiment.
The local tobacconist Strauss has a few good aromatics, and none of them are chemically preserved from what I know.
Boswells get a lot of accolades on YouTube and TobaccoReviews. What about the Lane Blends? Are they chemically preserved?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
So far I have smoked a couple Lane mixtures and found them quite nice. Altadis on the other hand Is one company that produces aros that seem quite heavily preserved.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Great recomendations guys, I'm going to order some boswell blends and some from C&D.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Sappo
I just got my Boswells. OMFG this stuff is gooooood!
Smoking some No Bite Delight right now. Man is it a nice smoke. Just dead bang hassle free tasty smoke. I loaded it right out of the bag seemingly too wet. It caught fire a took over from there. Huge billowing clouds of smoke. Outstanding flavor but not at all tinny or artificial.
What a great blend this would be for a newbie. It truly doesn't bite at all. I did everything I could to provoke it. But it just chugs along gumming your tongue.
I smoked a bowl of Northwoods earlier. Excellent. Not sure it's 60 bucks a pound excellent. But it is very very good.
I still have Christmas Cookie and Berry Cobbler left to try. This could be a record setting day for me. I wish I had 2 mouths so I could smoke 2 bowls at once.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Christmas Cookie was a bit of a buizz kill at least the first time around. Typical flavor doesn't match the pouch aroma. So, I ended up puffing to hard to ket soem cookie and burnt myself.
Berry Cobbler is better but not in my mind nearly as good as the raving reviews it gets.
But both very dry tasty smokes albeit a bit muted. Quality aromatic blends.

zarb

Lurker
Jun 3, 2010
Most of what Ive herd about Boswell has been very good. I ordered some of there Pom Holiday, Cherry Smash, Boswell's Best, and Christmas Cookie to try along with a friend. I will let everyone know how they after I receive them next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.