Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Still Have Your First Pipe? Why or Why Not?

(107 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you still have the first pipe you ever owned? What was it? Was it new? Was it a hand-me-down? If you bought it, where? Do you still have it? If you don't, what happened to it? I bought my first pipe some time in the 1970's at the Tinder Box chain in the nearby mall. It was a somewhat distinctive house pipe, a Tinder Box St. Ives, a bent pot with a vertical saddle stem, in a light bright brown stain. And yes, I still have it. Out of curiosity, I wrote Tinder Box customer service about eight years ago and asked if they could identify the source, and they said they thought it was probably a Chacom. It has always been a good smoker, and still looks good. A little char on the rim and a little chatter on the bit, but not bad at all. Still appetizing after all the years.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes sir. My first pipe is still happily in the rotation frequently.

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a cob that was purchased on September 13, 2011. It was destroyed within 2 weeks because I freight trained the damn thing and burned up the hardwood shank.

But I persevered. I still own pipes numbers 2 and 3. Both Dr. Grabows. The Omega still gets smoked occasionally, but the prince suffered a catastrophic burn out.....I've since learned how to smoke.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

I bought my first pipe a few months ago from my local shop and yes I still have it. It was a new “Paykoc Briar” 3/4 bend and smokes well enough for a beginner pipe. Sounds like a bong whenever I smoke anything out of it and I have to run a pipe cleaner after every few puffs. I use it mostly to try new blends now. I completed a 6 day Peterson pipe rotation/collection and have not smoked my first pipe as much. I plan on making it my on the road pipe to smoke during work breaks or when I find myself hiking or fishing.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...another nice feature of my St. Ives first pipe was that it is a sitter, which for a beginner is great, before you have figured out all the various places to stow your pipe between puffs or relights. I like that my first was kind of distinctive in looks, very durable, and quite affordable without looking too basic.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First pipe was a MM cob. I still smoke it. Second pipe was a Silvano Decimo estate for $50. I still smoke it frequently, it is a dedicated burley blend pipe.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

I purchased my very first pipe in the early 80's and smoked it on occasion. Quit smoking a pipe when we started a family. No, I do not still have it. Fast forward 35 years, March 2018, my second "first" pipe was Tinder Box basket pipe. I still have it and rarely smoke it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t have my first pipe. It was a Yello-Bole Brylon bent billiard, and it smoked terribly. I purchased it when I was in high school, and didn’t know anything about pipes, aside from thinking that they smelled good. I fried (or steamed) my mouth many times before throwing it away. I purchased a Czech made Briar basket pipe a couple years later, a nice big 1/4 bent brandy, and I do still have it, and it smokes well and is in my rotation.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First pipe was a Comoy Golden Grain Canadian in 1961...still have it in daily rotation. Still smokes wonderfully.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow bent billiard and I have no idea what happened to it. I bought an estate Big Ben bent apple from my local B&M after smoking the Grabow for about a year or so and never looked back, the idea of a “rotation” didn’t cross my mind until I had been smoking a pipe for about ten years. I figured that I had a good pipe, who needs more than one? I smoked Tinder Box Anniversary exclusively in my one pipe, then for some reason after about ten years, I decided to try other blends and I then decided that I needed more pipes because everything I was trying was tasting like cherry.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have the bowl. The stem cracked a while back. I may bring it to the West Coast Show and see if a carver can make a new stem for it. It's a no name Italian made Dublin shaped bowl and was a churchwarden.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Yes I still have it. A merger GBD London Billiard 135, a gift from my mom for my 18th birthday. It ran the gamut of Aromatics, Virginia flakes and Latakia mixtures. Professionally cleaned and waxed, it's now retired and displayed on the mantelpiece.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't. No idea why. Or, after all these years I forgot.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  14. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

My first few pipes were corn cobs I bought to enjoy the OTC blends I was buying in college. Those are all long gone but I do have my first briar pipes. I inherited my grandpa's small collection and still cherish them.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I bought a pair of 5th Ave cobs as my first pipe(s) and I smoked the heck out of them. I still have them somewhere, I know they're in my fishing tackle room but I'm just not sure where, one is heavily ghosted in gawith sauce and the other was reserved for Virginia blends.

My first briar pipe was a Peterson Kapruff 80s that I bought unsmoked off ebay for $25. I still smoke it to this day and it also remains the only bent pipe I own.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

My first good pipe a new Orlik given to me by my father in 1964. I still have it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

A smooth Grabow Omega purchased new at Rite Aid back in '91. Still around and still smoked.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Ukrainian pear wood pipe ordered online, I think 2009. It had a little extra section of shank that broke, and once I got my first briar it was retired. It smoked ok but the pear wood was not neutral in flavour, thinking back I imagine it only bugged me after I got briar. I still have it in a drawer somewhere, it will probably always kick around in a drawer because I find it hard to throw it out, being the first.

And I just remembered my actual first I carved out of a single piece of Churchill soapstone on a Sunday afternoon, using a very primitive set up and a wobbly bench! That one actually smoked quite well but would make a horrible clencher. I will keep that one too, although never smoke it again probably.

Isaac.

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  19. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow Viking, but the bowl no longer fits the stem. I guess the threads on the bowl are worn down. I keep it for memory sake.

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first was a Savinelli Piuma, a small chambered rusticated dublin. I still use it as a morning aromatic pipe.
    It is the one in the front.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  21. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was my father's Dr. Grabow Freehand. After several decades, tho, it just doesn't look much like a Grabow Freehand anymore. That man could largely put a pipe thru its paces.

Still have it but, rarely smoke it. It was a heavy hitter back in my 1-Q days, not so much anymore.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  22. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have mine, a Kaywoodie Fine Line, nurse got it for me when I was in the Naval Hospital in Norfolk, smoked it late at night in the janitors closet.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I still have my 1st pipe, bought in 1988. It’s a 1/2 bent billiard military bit hand made by a local carver, Johnson.s in Carlisle, PA. Still like the shape & it smokes well. I have pipe #2 Irish Seconds (Sherlock Holmes Professor ), #3 Irish Seconds (Watson), #4 Irish Seconds (Baskerville), all good smokers.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a Tinder Box basket pipe. I wanted to take up the hobby and I guy I worked with sold me all his stuff for $12 and some comic books. His wife had set him up nicely for Father's Day, pipe, tobaccos, lighter and stuff. But, everytime he smoked it she would give him crap about how cancer runs in his family, etc..

I do not have that one anymore but I do have the first pipe my wife bought me 25 years ago, a Peterson churchwarden that came with two stems. It is still in rotation and finally after all this time, it smokes like a champ.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I still have my first pipe, not sure who made it but it was given to me by my grandmother in one of those starter packs. I had been smoking cigars to help my anxiety disorder and for some reason my grandmother thought a pipe would be better. Honestly I think she just wanted me to smoke a pipe so she could smell it.

It's made out of pear wood and was rather cheaply made. It didn't exactly do too well during my learning phase so it's been retired and sits as a sentimental piece. I quickly replaced it with some MM cobs.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 5 months ago #
  26. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still have the first pipe, a basket pipe Italian bent rusticated. I once figured out who the original maker was as it had all the looks and stamping except the brand. It was a mediocre Italian factory pipe, even if branded. I still have it and smoke it from time to time. Not the best smoker, but far from the worst. It is a nice reminder of how I got into pipes, and how much nicer some of my pipes are, even if not that much more expensive.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The first pipe I purchased was a brand new Savinelli Linea Piu 5 Apple. I was sitting in my buddies cigar lounge when I decided it was time to try a pipe. My buddy had a decent selection of pipes and the Sav had a reasonable price. I still have the pipe but don't smoke it anymore. It has a serious English blend ghost to it and I haven't done anything about getting rid of it.

Harris
    Posted 5 months ago #
  28. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have my first pipe, but I remember it well. It was a Tinderbox Monza, bent billiard, bought it in 1985. I bought it strictly based on the name, because I was that cool 18 year old kid driving a 1978 Chevy Monza....... LOL!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipes were destroyed by my ex. Not much else to say.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 5 months ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel really lucky to still have my first pipe, and especially that it still has an appeal and smokes fine. Story in original post.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

Yep. Still have it. She's hanging lovingly on my wall mounted pipe rack as we speak. It was a cob whose manufacturer I could not say because I didn't even look at it when I bought it. Just picked it up off a cardboard display with a pouch of CBG. Uh, maybe I should expand that acronym so not to have it confused...That's CBG, as in Captain Black Gold, not Grape).

I used the ever-loving-HELL out of that pipe. I couldn't tell you how many pouches of CB I went through with on it. Loved every minute of it. I used it so much, I cracked the hell out of the stem and made it practically useless. Made lots of memories with that pipe. Met my first true girlfriend that I stayed with for more than a few weeks with it. Broke up with her after several long years with it. It went with me to college and I quit with it when food and gas became more important than tobacco.

I've actually tried both sizes of stems from MM to see if they can replace it, but the small ones are too small and the big filter stems are too big, it seems. I really do need to get a new stem that'll fit it. Even though it's a cob and even though I have many more similar, nothing is quite the same as your first pipe. Even if it was a stinker, there's still something about that first pipe.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first was a basket briar pipe, no particular manufacturer, it just says "Made in Italy" on the back side of the stem. I bought it from Pipe World, in Austin Texas, in ... 2005 I believe. I still have it, I carried it with me allover the place actually. It smokes great, it's a fairly large half bent billiard, quite classy looking. I smoke aromatics out of it, maybe once every couple of weeks. I have a special attachment to every pipe I own, each has a story, and each served me at some point in the past ... but this is truly special. In fact, I think from all my briars this is the cheapest also. This is a good example of an inexpensive pipe which not necessarily means crappy. Of course it doesn't have all the fine looking details, but it still is a hell of a smoker.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  33. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately I do not recall anything about my first pipe. But I still have my first Meer Gourd Calabash, which I bought new, somewhere in Copenhagen around 1984, I think.... It was quite expensive then, that I remember and I was only a student, but I had a well paid spare time job for many years, at the local hospital. There were so many good pipe shops and carvers in Copenhagen at that time, new books and magazines about pipes, a lot of people smoked pipe and we went to several pipe shows and pipe tobacco was not so heavily taxed. So maybe I have a good excuse for becoming a pipe snob from an early age

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. samuelgawith01

samuelgawith01

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a 3/4 bent billiard from the Wally Frank shop in Huntington,Long Island,NY.I purchased it in 1980.I no longer have this pipe,sorry to say.Being young,stupid,and unguided,but mostly young and stupid,I treated this pipe in ways that one should never treat his pipe.I destroyed it in the early 80’s,during my naval service,throwing it overboard one day while at sea.I deserve to be horsewhipped for that,and all I can say is,I was younger then.Between 1980,and 1985,I only purchased two other quality pipes,both of which I still have......A Svendborg hand made,and a Danmore.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was unsmokeable, literally. Actually, that was helpful, since the first tobacco was RYO. I tossed the $10 pipe and spread the tobacco in my wife's rose garden to keep the local cats from pooping in the garden.

My next couple pipes were still cheap, but smoked well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

My very first pipe was a bent MM Legend, and Prince Albert smoked so quickly it tasted of nothing but ash. I still have the pipe, but probably only smoke it once a year. Both the pipe and the Prince Albert were purchased from Rite Aid around six or seven years ago.

My 2nd, and 3rd pipes were purchased about a week or two later from the same Rite Aid. A Dr Grabow smooth Omega, and a very small straight Dr Grabow Grand Duke. I still have both of those as well. The Omega gets smoked every couple of months, the Grand Duke far less as the abs plastic stem is starting to develop cracks.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe is still happily in the rotation frequently.

A King's Cross (Savinelli sub-brand) 110A blast Featherweight. Purchased some 18 years before ever putting a match to it; somehow I knew I was destined to be a pipe smoker!

Dot
    Posted 5 months ago #
  38. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I do have my first pipe. It’s an Imported Briar I bought back in 1997 in Corpus Christi. One certain obnoxious cigar buddy from NC sent me some pipe tobacco and said I have to try it. So I went and found a pipe. At one shop the salesman tried to sell me a POS with about 7 blatant fills, ...I left. At the next shop I picked out a clean no-name basket pipe.
    It’s literally some of the best wood of any pipe I have. Smokes clean, cool, dry, and absolutely will not ghost with even the foulest weed or granny panties blend. A true trooper, a treasure to me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I tossed my first pipe not that long ago. It was a $9 no-name model (search G-Star on Amazon and you'll find the equivalent) and the stem would no longer hold. The stem had been loose for a little while and while smoking one day it bowl rolled over and fell off the stem. I actually picked it up and finished smoking but threw it away afterwards.

My second pipe is a Bjarne churchwarden that I got just a few months after my first pipe and I still smoke it on occasion.

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

I do still have it! A Ben Wade freehand bought for $30 in 1992 at a tobacconist in the small town I went to college (the first time) in. It's not a shape I would buy at this point, but I've kept it and still smoke it occasionally because it will always be my number one.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. joeman

joeman

Login to Send PM

Yes. A Grabow Hillcrest in shape 119. I still have because it’s a great smoker, I still love the shape (have acquired several more), and lastly, I’m sentimental about my first. I’m just glad that reasons one and two are true.

JoeMan
    Posted 5 months ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

to samuel gawith', who while in the navy threw his pipe overboard to his great regret, somewhere today is a tiger shark who smokes only the finest Balkan blends.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. Here it is, good little smoker with stinger still in.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, don't have it any more & glad of it!
    A Medico Dublin that smoked like crap, because I didn't know any better. Still love the shape, but the best thing I ever did pipe-wise was to dump it!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  45. checotah

checotah

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still have my first pipe, a Kaywoodie 500, purchased new in Oct. 1963. Well used, have replaced the bit 4 times. Obviously the stinger is long gone. Still smokes great. Wish I could say all of that about some others I have lost over those 55 years.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

checotah, back in '63, Kaywoodie was the Cadillac pipe, and I'm glad to hear it still is.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do not have my first pipe but I know where it is, and if I really wanted it, I bet I could have it.

1983 two friends I met while stationed at Ft. Polk gifted me a Savineli bent billiard and starter kit with some tobacco. It introduced me to the joy of the pipe. Fast forward to about 2000 whereupon I gifted the now seldom-smoked Sav to a fellow piper who was never without a pipe in his mouth. Due to health reasons, he's had to retire his pipes.

I really don't have any sentimental value associated with that pipe.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  48. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was lucky with my first pipe. It has proven itself to be a good smoker and I like the way it looks. Pure luck as I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  49. renfield

renfield

Login to Send PM

I still have and smoke it. A BC group 3 straight apple with a flattened oval shank. I got it at a mom and pop tobacconist long since out of business. IIRC the first tobacco in it was 1-Q. A good smoking pipe with a lot of fond memories attached to it.

Ren

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. captpat

captpat

Login to Send PM

I no longer have my first pipe, a Tinderbox meer-lined billiard, purchased in 1976. I have a couple Petersons from that time and another box pipe I have to my son to get him started.

Posted 5 months ago #
  51. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't even remember what it was as it was too long ago. Workman, I bought a no name pipe off the Bay years ago that looks a lot like yours, though with a longer stem. Like the look of it so much, it's a regular in my rotation.

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Irish Earl: Mine is a Stanwell 139. One of their standard shapes, it is an organic version of the billiard with a tall, narrow bowl. It smokes consistently good.

Posted 5 months ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm interested and a little surprised at how many members still have their first pipe, even those who've been at this for years. I'm also intrigued that many who no longer have their first pipes had turkeys that didn't smoke well, which illustrates that a bad first experience doesn't necessarily turn people away for good. Apparently pipe smokers are a persistent lot. The ones who still have their first pipes illustrate that even an inexpensive pipe can be a long-term purchase.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first time was a cheap chinese cob, so yeah that's gone. I still have my second pipe which was an estate Jeantet bent billiard (a tiny Gr. 1) . I however, sold my first NEW pipe, was a cherrywood by Rick Black.

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  55. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bent Grabow. Was a booger.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Yes, I do. A yellowbole pug. When ? 1967. What did I smoke ? Anything ! Smokinf was a bugger, tongue bite, etc. But,I stuck with it. Now, I'm a master. I laugh at that ! I'm still learning .

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sadly my first pipe/s were all 'Pollock' clay pipes so they are probably strewn all over my Mothers garden and the flower beds of the local pub!

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Yep... it's only 3 months old. A Savinelli Miele 207

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually had two first pipes, bought at the same time at a Walgreen's around '89 or '90. I still have one of them, a Grabow Savoy with an unusually large bowl. Strangely enough, it has a yellow spade despite being an aluminum-tenon filter pipe, so it's kind of a rare bird. I do still smoke it occasionally.

The other was a straight billiard with a stinger that I never got on with. I believe it was a Kaywoodie; I lost track of it in a move years ago. That pipe kicked off my dislike of stingers of any sort, but I wish I still had it just for old times' sake.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Note to fairly new pipe smokers: it's a good idea to keep your first pipe, even if you don't continue to smoke the pipe. You may go back to it, or want the occasional or annual smoke for some occasion. Pipes have more personality than many personal souvenirs. Complete stinker pipes, pitch 'em out, and maybe get something decidedly better as a keeper.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I came to pipes as a cigar smoker. I wanted something I could smoke inside during the coldest times in winter without the family complaining. For some strange reason they don’t always appreciate the aroma of a fine cigar. I still have my first pipe, a MM cob. I don’t smoke it now since I find the bowl a little too small. I do smoke larger cobs often. I got it at one of the few good pipe shops in the region.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 months ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

terry292

Login to Send PM

My parents gave me a bent Grabow Duke for Christmas, 1966. Sadly, it disappeared in 1973 somewhere in the jungles of a small Southeast Asian nation which no longer exists. I like to think one of Uncle Ho's myrmidons is still getting some use from it, but it's more likely to have moldered away by now.

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great post terry'. I seem to remember that erstwhile nation that's gone. Over time, my boot camp is long gone; my home port is a commercial port; Midway Island where I was stationed was a bird sanctuary and now is a plastic waste vortex usually uninhabited; and my ship was sold to Taiwan and renamed in Chinese during the nineties. Welcome aboard. Ah, but the Dr. Grabow lives.

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I have practically no memory of my first pipe. Just that I smoked Velvet bowl after bowl (among other things in various forms) in the dorm room playing poker in the mid '80s. A blurry haze but I'm sure my technique was spot on.

Tim
    Posted 4 months ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

terry292

Login to Send PM

"Great post terry'. I seem to remember that erstwhile nation that's gone. Over time, my boot camp is long gone; my home port is a commercial port; Midway Island where I was stationed was a bird sanctuary and now is a plastic waste vortex usually uninhabited; and my ship was sold to Taiwan and renamed in Chinese during the nineties. Welcome aboard. Ah, but the Dr. Grabow lives."

Yes, the story of my life also: nearly every post closed and every unit deactivated. Fortunately, I still have the memories and most of the comrades.

Posted 4 months ago #
  66. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Know what you mean, terry. Thanks for the BRACs, Uncle Sugar. And you're right -- memories & brothers/sisters stick!

Bill

Posted 4 months ago #
  67. glassjapan

glassjapan

Login to Send PM

Yes and no. I came to pipe smoking from the world of cigars. I picked up a MM Legend and thought if I stayed with it a few months, I'd commission my first pipe. I found out that I loved the pipe a whole lot more than cigars. About twelve years later, the cob ended up getting destroyed and the commission is one of my favorites. A Rad Davis smooth bent egg.

Posted 4 months ago #
  68. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was definitely a drugstore MM Legend, but that's long since lost, somewhere along the railroad tracks of time. My first briar is an old, old french-made billiard (with a neat swivel-top wind cap, also made from briar) marked only with "GALEPROOF" and in my hand, full to the brim with Jackknife, as I type this.

Posted 4 months ago #
  69. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I've still got my first -- a Comoy Rover 350 (a straight brandy billiard, pre-Chacom, English made) that Dick Silverman (aka Chief Catoonah) sold me in about '96, when my friend and I wandered into his B&M in CT. We were wholly ignorant teenagers and he just befriended us in the most welcoming way and gave us the full tour, as well as an off-the-cuff primer on briars, aromatics vs. non-aromatics, and a bunch of other important things I never forgot. He shipped me my favorite blend for years.
    The pipe is 'eh,' mostly because it's not my style and I think the chamber is too big, but I'll always keep it for the fond memories of the Chief. I do think it's well-made.

Non Serviam
    Posted 3 months ago #
  70. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have my first pipe, a Grabow that my mom sent me in Afghanistan. I treasure that pipe.

I also have the first pipes I bought. A Pete 03 Zippo edition, a Sav autograph prince with Cumberland stem, and a Stanwell bent Dublin. All smoke fantastically well and are not on the chopping block of my current downsizing.

Posted 3 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf, drrock