PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
...I'm progressing.
The first ounce or so that I smoked scarred my tongue. I did research how to pack, light and smoke, but I must have missed the BIG BOLD warning about tongue bite, or whatever it is called. (I mean, why the hell isn't that the first thing on the list of things to write about when writing about how to smoke a pipe?)
Anyway, despite a few war wounds, I decided to forge ahead. Having been a cigar snob for several years, I decided that I would put in the time and effort to learn this thing.
I tried English tobaccos thinking that my cigar background would lead me to prefer them, but I soon found that this wasn't so. In hindsight, this makes sense; the cigars I love have a mellow, almost chocolate feel to them.
After reading more, I learned how to sip. I learned about the zones of combustion, distillation and condensation. I learned that voluminous, billowing mouthfuls of smoke, like one gets in a good cigar, are not requisite to enjoying a pipe. I learned that cobs are cool.
I ventured into the tin. I've found that I like some "premium aromatics" and some ocean-going blends.
And, thinking myself intelligent enough to clean one, and fix another, loose stem, I've lost two pipes. So much for being able to "screw in a light bulb."
Most recently, I (re) discovered the air pocket method for packing a pipe. And, although this is more difficult than the three step method while one is driving a car, I find that I can taste the blend right down to the end. (Hey, that rhym...oh never mind.) I am also finding less un-burned tobacco in the bowl. Very often, I am able to keep a pipe lit with just the initial pass of the lighter.
I have a collection (some of which is in transit as I write this) that I am happy with. I can't smoke in the house, but I still have my deck (I'm researching outdoor heating) and my buddies haven't excommunicated me from the cigar store yet.
So, I will continue. I am eager to know, to have the experience of those who were born with pipes in their mouths, but I will try to learn with the patience with which I am supposed to smoke.
In the meantime, damn...I'm having fun.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Glad to hear about the progress you're making! :clap:

You're months ahead of other neophytes because of your cigar background -- your palate is already receptive to the

nuances of tobacco flavor -- so the learning curve only covers the technical stuff like pipes and paraphernalia.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Also- I appreciate the article you posted. Reading this was very interesting:
pipe tobacco burns on average (in the combustion zone) at about 500 degrees Celsius...
...butane, when mixed with air, burns at 1,977 degrees Celsius whereas matches burn between 600 and 800 degrees Celsius, depending on the wood variety used in manufacture (most matches use Aspen wood)...
...As I considered the length of time I applied the butane flame to the tobacco, I realized that I was super-heating it, which could not help but impact the flavors, especially those sugary mature Virginias that I love...
I've read many times using matches is preferred, but this was the best explanation I've read as to why it's the best.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've started using matches when possible and curtailing the amount of butane flame that actually touches the tobacco when I do use a lighter. It makes a difference.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sjfine, I am glad to hear you are sticking with it and progressing at a nice clip. I remember when I started there were no sites like this to help me and it did take time before I got it. I recently began using matches in the house, but still use my butane in the car. I used to be a matches guy years ago but got lazy. My pipe lighter has a tamper in it so it was just easier to use that. I also came from cigars and started with full bodied English blends but as you found I like the flavors of other blends better and no longer smoke any English.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Outstanding post. Well written, no misspellings, proper grammar, informative, honest and fun to read. Try some flake baccy! There's extra steps to the ritual, because you have to fold it and rub it and figure out why the hell you can't keep it lit! Cigars bore me now. I'll give you my favorite quote from my local B&M guy you may not have heard:
Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion.
Puff on, bro; keep giving us updates, and if you ever get to smoke inside, you can try blowing smoke rings. You get to level two when you can blow a big one and puff a smaller one through it :)

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I am glad that you guys seem to like reading what I write or, at least that there is a vocal minority who do. In any event, I not only considered starting a blog, but at the first suggestion of it, I did. It may be slow in development, but I am studying the feasibility of a career change to writing. I would be happier, but can I really monetize my pearls without having to write about the Top Ten Reasons Why I'm a Pimp?
If it happens, it was because you guys forced me into it.
I started writing a book a few months ago, and although I am a bit stuck these days, I plan on finishing it. Eventually.
And, I'm Scott. Nice to meet you guys.
Oh, and thank you for the compliments.
Edit: Removed link to blog, L.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Great post, bro. Aside from the agitation of the relights (I've yet to discover the air pocket method) and the occasional tongue bite and the anxiously waiting for your next PAD or TAD order to arrive this is a very calming and relaxing hobby. This is a cool ride, isn't it?

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Oh, and, I can blow smoke rings, and have been able to since I first started smoking, uh...cigarettes, yeah, cigarettes when I was 12.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just commented on your blog, I also contribute to a Wordpress blog. It sounds like you have learned a lot in a short period of time. I also switched over from maduro cigars, thinking a strong English would be to my liking. A few nauseous fits later, I learned to work myself back into the English fold. A few months in, I also noticed tongue bite had disappeared and a hundred relights were no longer required. Practice makes perfect, enjoy the ride and welcome!

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
This is a GREAT hobby! It's fun. You get to learn new things. You get to collect cool stuff. My wife just shakes her head and thinks I've taken leave of my senses! How could it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.