PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
my pipes fissure, almost 1/2 of them have fisssures, what am am I doing wrong. I tend to blast away at the pipes, but I don't see why some pipes hold up and some don't. I have about 30 pipes, at least 15 have a fissure.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Fissures as in heat crazing inside the bowl? Yes, from smoking too hot. Perhaps try some blends with a bit more "oomph" to satisfy the craving for Vitamin N ? Don't smoke 3 bowls back-to-back?

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
thanks all, I also smoke cigarettes so I am used to vitamin N. Going to ask for some recommendations on powerful blends, been smoking lots of burley based blends and they tend to do it for me.
I tend to blast away at the bowls, I just have to calm down and take some time I gather.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Definitely sounds like you're smoking too hot and too wet. Puffing away and getting billowing clouds of smoke results in a hot bowl and a short working lifespan for your pipe. Puff only to get the bowl started and after that it's slow sipping, like sipping a milk shake through a straw. You'll get much more flavor from the blend when it's not smoked hot. You'll also get more of the nic hit. Exhale through your nose to get more of the flavor notes.
It the pipe goes out, no big deal, just relight. Pipe smoking is not a stunt. Let your tobacco dry out for an hour or so before packing. Reducing the moisture content will also give you more flavor, less steam and less tongue bite.
Give your pipe time to thoroughly cool off between loads. Clean out your pipe at the end of the day and let it rest for a few days to dry out.
If fast and furious is your smoking style, buy cobs. You'll get an excellent smoke and when you burn the pipe out and have to replace it, the costs will be minimal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's a thought: pack three pipes to start out. As soon as the bowl gets hot on the first one, put it down and start the second. By the time you're on the third, the first should have cooled enough to relit without much danger of burnout/fissuring. And try to slow it down, dry it down as others have advised.
My head would explode if I smoked that way, as I am avoiding heavy nic. Or trying to!

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
thanks for the advice. I also think my cigarette style of smoking has translated into pipe smoking when I picked the pipe up again about 2 years ago. I tend to smoke very fast. I couldn't believe I was reading some smokers saying an hour for a bowl when it is about 10 minutes for me. I gather I am doing it too quickly.
I appreciate the helpful advice. Thank you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had one pipe that developed a crack where the shank joined the stem, a slender billiard, no-name London made, a nice pipe. I think it was age and maybe hauling it around in the car and pocket. Smoking fast, hard puffing, smoking a pipe for hours on end and bowl-after-bowl might all contribute. Heavy built pipes, thick bowl walls and thick shanks, might have the durability you need. You might have trouble with thinner, smaller pipes, with thin-walled bowls. Do you blast them with a lighter a lot on high flame? Carry them in your pocket a lot? Drop them or let them knock against each other, or knock them on the ash tray? This is unusual, but not for you, so do your own detective work and see how you are stressing the briar on this pipes. You are likely just a guy who needs thick, durable pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hope you are not using a torch lighter that people use for cigars. Those should never be used on a pipe. I can smoke a group 4 sized pipe for 1.5 hours with no problems. A group 4 is a pipe that is about 1.75" tall by 1.4" deep and .75" bowl diameter. It is considered a medium sized pipe and if you were to smoke a flake in it, you should be able to smoke for a good 1.5 hours if you are smoking at a nice even cadence. I have never burned out a pipe and I was a cigarette and cigar smoker when I took up the pipe.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
yep, I found my thick walled pipes hold up ok with no problems. as to the other question I use the torch lights only on cigars and cigarettes, the pipes I just use a Bic lighter (soft) with the pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's one thing (among many) to be said for Petersons. Their design tends toward the durable, although not the tankards and Belgique so much. But most of the line tends toward the stocky and sturdy. Up-market, Castello seems to specialize in beefy pipes, although some of them carry some weight. Peterson seems to do sturdy pipes in the clenching category. (I always want to spell Castello as Costello, to the some-time hilarity of many; had to edit this post to get it right.)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I couldn't believe I was reading some smokers saying an hour for a bowl when it is about 10 minutes for me. I gather I am doing it too quickly.
That is a GREAT BIG YES! Slow down brother... 8O

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
10 minutes for a bowl... holy shit!!

If your avatar is you smoking a pipe I can easily see why that is so considering the blinding billow of smoke emanating from the pipe! I'm a 50+ year cigarette smoker and I average about a forty minute smoke (depending on the bowl size), and even then I consider myself as smoking too fast! Slooooow down my man, as that is not what smoking a pipe is about. :wink:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
10 minutes to a bowl.... what bowl size, and what are you smoking? I've smoked Five Bros out of a smallish Gp 3 that lasts 45 minutes with just about anything else, and it did last about 10 minutes IIRC ..... not that I wish to repeat the experience.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
There's part of your problem..10 minutes is blazing fast and your burning up the inside of your pipes...slow down, take some time, enjoy the experience and if it goes out, enjoy the re-light...good luck

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ten minutes?! Holy crap! Surprised your head didn't explode! Just took me over two hours to finish a pipe that is just under two inches deep.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
I appreciate all the responses, I really need to calm down.
I've been smoking prince albert like that, as well as C&D Epiphany and C&D Haunted Bookshop like that.
When I get to GL Pease Gaslight I tend to slow it down a bit, that is kind of a I don't know a Cake or something or other, it is very good I recommend.
Been a big fan of Margate too.
I will calm down and smoke slower and spare my 15 pipes that are still in one piece :)

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
all,
I found problem was with packing, I was packing too loose and blasting away. Been about an hour with a properly packed bowl so far. thank again.

Status
Not open for further replies.