Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Being on the cusp of Hogmanay, figured it was a good time to try sticky toffee pudding for the first time. So, we whipped up a batch. The toffee sauce definitely makes it and we tweaked ours with rum extract. Not bad, though I'd take a good chocolate cake over that any time despite all its rave online reviews. Did leave me with the burning question of why do folks in the UK refer to what obviously is a cake as a pudding? :P

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Why do we call puddings "cake"? :) Not a great analogy, but point made, perhaps.
How bout this one: Boston Cream Pie? It's really two or three layers of cake, with delicious custard in between, topped with chocolate frosting. Is it a cake? A pie? A pudding, or just a dessert?? I am drooling at the though of a slice, no where in sight today.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The two words in England are nearly synonymous. A pudding is usually eaten at the end of a meat meal and is a sweet dish. A cake is eaten any time. I'm sure one of our English or Brit members can provide more distinction. I believe it is we upstart colonials who bastardized the terms.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Puddings are normally steamed, normally involve suet and aren't always sweet, for example steak and kidney pudding. Pudding is also another name for dessert course.
Cakes are normally baked and normally sweet.
In this case sticky toffee pudding used to be steamed but over the years has become baked, perhaps it should be called sticky toffee cake?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
craig, will see how day 2 with it strikes me today. It's definitely meant to be eaten very warm. Dense, moist cake, made moist by drilling numerous holes in it to drizzle the toffee sauce into it. Then I pop a piece into the microwave and nuke it for 40 seconds and put more toffee sauce on it and nuke another 10 seconds so it comes out warm & gooey. Sort of labor intensive to make taking about 6 hours in all from start to finish to make.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
As if I needed another excuse to procrastinate at work today trying to leave for the holiday. This was a nice distraction. And not as difficult to pin down as, let's say, defining a Scottish Blend for pipe tobacco (that one still warps my scientific brain every time I try to define it).
From the net: A traditional steamed dessert (“pudding”). The British have many delicious and charmingly-named steamed puddings in their culinary archives, from Spotted Dick to Sticky Toffee. All are cooked in a covered bowls set over a pot of simmering water.

Status
Not open for further replies.