PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadie

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
Wasn't sure whether this would be under general, pipe talk, or maintenance- figure I'd go for the largest one.
I just got me one of them fancy Macqueen pipes and lo and behold, the precarb is really sticky. Every pipe I've bought and/or seen has had precarb that is both dry and matte (reminds me of that chalkboard paint). This bowl is sticky and really shiny.
What's up with that? Is it safe to smoke out of? If not, how would I go about removing it short of taking a dremel to it?
Bonus question: my lordy Orlik flake smells fantastic, do all virginias smell like raisins?

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Can't speak about the Macqueen because I've never ordered from them.
As for the tobacco, smelling like raisins is normal. Even most cigarette packs smell like that.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Can't speak for Macqueen themselves, never ordered from them, but I have bought Peterson's where the inside of the bowl is coated with the same lacquer like substance that they coat the outside with. That's what might be on the inside of your bowl, if it's sticky and shiny.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If faced with a situation like yours, I think I would remove the substance any way that I could while the pipe is still unsmoked.

Russ Ouellette said,
Using anything to expedite the development of a carbon layer generally leads to a soft crumbly cake. Then, when you ream the chamber, the carbon can come out in chunks, leaving thin or bare spots where the heat can attack the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.