PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Just finished watching this video on my laptop outside while smoking a bowl of MM's Great Dane...Steep Canyon are a bunch of guys most of which come from this area around me (mostly Brevard NC and Asheville NC)...I've seen them in concert about 20 times; saw them with Steve a couple of years back...excellent smoking music!!!
Steve Martin with Steep Canyon

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've listened to them on Spotify. As I recall, Steve won a Grammy for his banjo playing. I actually saw him perform in the early 70's. Have never found his comedy all that great but even back then he could pick a pretty good banjo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't followed Steve that closely, so take it for what it's worth, but it seems to me he started out on banjo well behind the group he joined. For a few years, it was a little embarrassing. But he has really risen to the occasion and now is right up there, both as a banjo picker and as a band leader. He certainly lent his name and comedy fame to the group to get it rolling. Yeah, he was more a comedic actor (as in Father of the Bride) than a standout in SNL and later movie comedies. He has a subtle wit, but he's not a ha-ha stand-up performer, in my experience. Not a punch-line or stellar sketch guy. But I completely admire his desire and ability to try something new and make it work. Not many can do that, shifting genre and art form altogether. Bravo.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
How can you watch Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and not think that he’s funny as all get out?
I’m no banjo expert but as far as I can tell he’s been more than proficient since the 70’s, at least.
Bit from one of his albums. He’s at the Pearly Gates and is having some difficulty getting in. Oh come on. I haven’t been that bad. How many times did I take the Lord’s name in vain? A million six?!?! Jesus Chr...!!!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
How can you watch Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and not think that he’s funny as all get out?
+1 … one of my all-time favorite comedies.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I saw and photographed Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers back in 2012 at Delfest. Steve was very funny and the SCR are an incredible bluegrass band. I remember Steve said, "You may have noticed all these banjos up on stage with me, I have a really big ego... no, no I love all these banjos just as I love my children, which means one of them is probably not mine". It was a very fun set.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
SCR are an incredible bluegrass band.
My wife and I have been following Steep Canyon since they started...Graham Sharp (banjo) is from right here in Greensboro in fact. We are really really big bluegrass fans, and Steep Canyon is tied for our favorite with Balsam Range.
I don't know where you are, donjgiles, but one thing my wife and I do a ton of is go watch bluegrass and old time music at the Blue Ridge Music Center on the Blue Ridge Parkway...we're only about 45 mins from it; gorgeous outdoor venue with mountains behind the stage...Steep Canyon plays there every year for $20! If you are in the area, you should try to go to a show...not just Steep Canyon, but other great bands play there as well. We usually make a day out of it and drive the parkway for a while, take pictures and such, then hit the venue late afternoon when the show starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.