PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
So I have been waiting on my sterling tobacco sample to arrive in the mail and received an email yesterday stating that he is now charging shipping for it.... Ya not too bad if you have the money, not like its an arm and a leg... But I requested it a month ago and I finally receive that saying pay me. Many other people here have been receiving theirs at i assume no cost to them. Pissed me off, that's my rant.

Aug 1, 2012
I haven't read the advert so I don't know the specifics so they may not apply but here are some general statements about "free samples".
If you say "free" you should mean it, don't lie. If there are exclusions, state them up front. To others around; if a "free" sample is offered and then denied, don't try to make calling a bluff sound like a bad thing as people should keep their word.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
So you are complaining about not getting something for nothing?
What I am complaining about is a company saying that they will send you a free sample and then a month later said, hey... Pay me and u can have it.
Like mike stated, it is not a good way to get people to buy from them. If I order from them will they wrote me back and say, hey... Pay me more than what was listed on my site. It's not right.
I understand its a business and it needs money, obviously, but free samples are free are they not??

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Sorry. I don't see "crappy" in this. I see a guy who is trying to make a business go. Whining about postage on some free samples isn't exactly the mentality that will push pipe smoking forward in the hostile climate that we live in.

Pay for what you get, support blenders that try to make stuff for us in these terribly hostile times, and quit whining about our friends. Worry about what the rest of the world is trying to do to our hobby.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I haven't read the advert so I don't know the specifics so they may not apply but here are some general statements about "free samples".
If you say "free" you should mean it, don't lie. If there are exclusions, state them up front. To others around; if a "free" sample is offered and then denied, don't try to make calling a bluff sound like a bad thing as people should keep their word.
Thank you, lol! The advertisement said free sample, no small print just free samples, pick one you like and we will send it to your door.
And it's not like I emailed a company that does not offer free samples asking and when I'm told no I get mad. They offered, I signed up. As a new smoker I want to sample as much as possible to find what I enjoy.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Sorry. I don't see "crappy" in this. I see a guy who is trying to make a business go. Whining about postage on some free samples isn't exactly the mentality that will push pipe smoking forward in the hostile climate that we live in.

Pay for what you get, support blenders that try to make stuff for us in these terribly hostile times, and quit whining about our friends. Worry about what the rest of the world is trying to do to our hobby.
Wow... Really now.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
My point is, if you want to promote your business with samples and ask for the person to pay shipping then that is perfectly fine. I have no problem with that.
I am talking about the fact it was offered free, then am asked to pay shipping. Understand??

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I get terribly frustrated by this picayune whining. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at the state and federal government who put businesses in this position, don't be mad at the guy trying to live, and keep his head above water under those rules.
There is no good that will come from trying to pinch pennies from the hands of tobacco blenders.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Kind of a bait and switch. I can see being upset when after expecting a free sample, it isn't free.
I'm sure if the original offer was, "hey pay shipping and I'll send you a sample," you would not feel as duped or whine about cost

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I am talking about the fact it was offered free, then am asked to pay shipping. Understand??
Yeah, I understand, and I am talking about paying your own way, and not whining about the plight of our besieged friends in the tobacco business. Understand? Probably not.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Also, a good point JP. I'm all for supporting any good tobacco retailer. Even if prices aren't the best.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
How much are we talking about for shipping? PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of bucks.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
You must work for the company because this seems to be a sore subject for you. Poor baby
If he is hurting from taxes then he shouldn't of offered, plain and simple.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
You make it seem like I'm asking for them to send me a tin advertised for 15 bucks on their site to be sent to me free. Not the case, take your few bucks and buy yourself something nice.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Seems to me redbeard's got a legitimate gripe. If I send away for a free sample, I expect them to follow through. If he wants to change the rules, do it with the next batch. Even from just a business POV, to change the agreement after he's got your email and shipping info is a mistake. I can see it rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.
I get terribly frustrated by this picayune whining. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at the state and federal government
If we follow that line of thinking, then let's not complain about anything except the "big" things. But then what constitutes "big" - only national level events? Or should we first check with you on what's worthy of making a complaint about?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I get terribly frustrated by this picayune whining. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at the state and federal government who put businesses in this position, don't be mad at the guy trying to live, and keep his head above water under those rules.
There is no good that will come from trying to pinch pennies from the hands of tobacco blenders.
Well I can tell you as a business owner... If I say I am going to do something... then thats what I have to do. If I say something will be free then I better not turn around and try to charge whatever for it... period.

And yes lets get mad at the government... I know more than others exactly what they do to us small business's... but for this particular circumstance... yes if in fact they stated "FREE" then it should be free.
You can get upset or not like what redbeard is saying and yes you have the right to believe he is whining... and he very well might... but regardless. He has a point!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Yes, he has a point about about not getting something for nothing. Easy fix, go to the next place offering something for nothing and carry on.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
You can get upset or not like what redbeard is saying and yes you have the right to believe he is whining... and he very well might... but regardless. He has a point!
Did not intend for it to seem that way, just think its bad business

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Yes, he has a point about about not getting something for nothing. Easy fix, go to the next place offering something for nothing and carry on.
It has nothing to do with what REdbeard wants or doesnt get... you dont seem to see that.

As a business owner and as a man... I follow through with what I say PERIOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.