PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Recently, over in the Box Pass thread, there had been some discussion of this blender with a link to

a great article written by Romeowood:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/sterling-1776-tobacco-mega-review/
The Balkan Sterling really caught my attention so I ordered three others to try:
American Patriot, 1776 Tavern and Briar Creek Natural
I gotta say that Jack Peterson has some winners here!
American Patriot is sweet and smoky with loads of Red Va and Latakia. Almost a toasted marshmallow flavor!

1776 Tavern has TONS of Orientals and has a musty, mushroomy, smoky goodness to it.

Balkan Sterling is just straight up buttery goodness with citrusy sour notes from the Orientals.
The only disappointment for me was the Briar Creek Natural.

Listed as "Natural" it turned out to be an Aro ... no good for me.

However ... it does mean there will be another free tobacco raffle very soon! :D
All of Jack's blends have a certain "Old School" note to them ... not sure what it is.

So, if you are a fan of English / Balkan blends, I suggest you give Sterling Tobacco Company a try.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
CG:
After reading what the dearly departed Roth wrote so kindly of Mister Jack's products I purchased two to four oz. of his "heftier" English blends. Honestly, I was a bit let down. They were all a bit light for my taste, but they're still glassed up in my cellar and will eventually be smoked. They're quality smokes and that's that.
Mister Jack is a lovely guy, by the way, and truly devoted to his craft. I have nothing but respect for him and the business he built up.
Sterling also has some of the best pricing I've seen anywhere on pipe cleaners and such. Even with postage he still beats the pants off of what I can find locally at my B&M.
Now, newbs and outlanders, please don't wad up your panties. I'm grateful for living in a community that still has an honest to God, fire breathing, smoke belching B&M but I'd rather have a cold water & coffee enema then trade at their establishment. The sales face of that shop openly brags about buying pipe collections from widowed smokers for pennies on the dollar and I'll just have no truck with that. Those are the wives of men he serviced for over forty years and I find his behavior despicable.
Fnord

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Where is he fencing, er, selling this stuff. I'm not aware of it at the store.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Sterling is only online. I believe that fnord was talking about his local B&M. I seriously doubt that that store has any connection with Sterling.
Winton
PS, I have several blends from Sterling. I bought them when I first picked up the pipe about four years ago. Then I determined that I really don't enjoy English blends. Perhaps they will show up in a trade eventually.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I really enjoy Sterling's cube cut burley in my MM MA cob. The deeper bowl keeps the cube cut lit and smokes cool and dry like cobs do so well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
fnord: Jack seemed like a great guy. I plan on dropping in on him in October while I'm in the area.

You're right about the prices, too! I added a handful of pipe cleaners to the order because of it.
trailboss: If I see you this weekend or next I'll bring some samples!
yohanan: I would say American Patriot and Balkan Sterling are tied for first at this point.

Do you get that "toasted marshmallow" flavor that I'm talking about?
rolldog: I don't see that cubed burley on the website ... what's the blend's name?
Not the best picture, but figured I'd add a visual to this thread:
sterling-600x589.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cob: I had one order alone with Mister Jack that was nothing but five hundred pipe cleaners and three pipe nails.
Winton: Darwin is a neighbor here on the prairie and knows the shop well.
Darwin: The estate buybacks go directly into his private collection and, man, that's going to be one helluva of a garage sale when he checks out.
Boss: You wrote, "...but openly bragging about it tells me that it must get a wink and a nod." Not really. The owner can only be described as absentee at best. Still, the owner's an interesting cat, friendly as hell, been in the biz since God created dirt and was a close friend of the legendary Preben Holm before he committed suicide by the bottle. Unfortunately, his majordomo is a Grade-A certified and homogenized asshat.
Fnord

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
@Cobguy - The name for the burley cube cut is "Double Eagle Blend". I picked it up last year on a recommendation for an authentic choice for my MM MA cob. I had done some research and Gen Macarthur and found he smoked a burley cube cut blend. I had tried American Patriot, Sweet Briar, their maple blend and Double Eagle. Double Eagle is my clear favorite of the Sterling blends I have tried so far and will be ordering more soon...if it is still available.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For those who want to know more about this vendor, check out his website. http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/
He has a special for samples of three blends for $7. He does not mention how big the samples are, but he has been generous in the past.
Winton

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@rolldog: Double Eagle Blend is still available ... I missed it because it's listed as a light aromatic.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Cobguy, on the site there is a link for "If you like ______ then try our blend _____. They have double eagle tied with Carter Hall, and Prince Albert.
and we all know how much you like CH and PA....then again I like them too.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, that's why I ordered the Briar Creek Natural.
I thought it would be like CH or PA ... but it's more like 1Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.