PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Well after two years after smoking Pipeworks and Wilke blends exclusively I ventured out! My Orders came from SP and IR today and as follows:

C&D Crooner

C&D Monster Demon

Dan Blue Note

Dan Devil's Holiday

Mc Clellands Penmans Choice
The Dan tobacco's and McClellands have a wonderful tin note and the C&D's seem Burleyesque in the tin, duh Nate because they are! How about that one in Noah Websters, Burleyesque ! puffy: I'm just contemplating which one to try after dinner.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Natenice1:
The only one on your list with which I have any experience is Crooner, and I like it VERY much. My only complaint was that the cubes of its Burley resembled Grape Nuts cereal, and were sometimes just as difficult to keep lit! Recently, however, I recall reading somewhere that Cornell & Diehl had addressed (or was going to do so) this issue.
Please let me know your opinion about this blend when it comes up in your rotation, and if you experience a similar problem with its burn.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Well it was Blue Note with dessert coffee! I didn't need the mini Biscotti's. Wow is that sweet, it reminds me a tad bit of 1Q without the sticky PG. In the middle of the bowl I think the whiskey comes out of nowhere and it's refreshing. You taste more tobacco than casing, all in all a good smoke and I think it would be great in mixed company. I couldn't smoke it all day though. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nate:
Do you have much experience with deertongue? One of the first smokes I tried, Crooner, had it. I thought it was a pleasant additive but it ghosted a half dozen of my burners and took forever to exorcize.
Fnord

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Deer tongue will ghost a pipe without a doubt. I suggest trying it in a cob first then, if you like it, dedicate a pipe to it. I have a Stanwell Golden Danish that is exclusively for Gentleman Caller, another deer tongue blend from C&D.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Oh yes! We had a tobacconist in the late 80's here in the Hudson Valley, I don't know if he picked himself then added to Burley and let it ferment but it was potent! I opened the tin of Crooner and can smell subtle Deertounge and Burley not like his blend. I have an old Grabow Omega that still smells of it, the last time I fired it up was 15 years ago. I'm smoking Dan's Devils Holiday right now and all I can think of is Vicks Formula 44 D! :puffy:

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Yup Mc Tinner, Hellish tounge bite also, but my company loved it. :DI love aro's but subtle ones.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Crooner is great! Not a heavy Burley fan but the Deertounge comes through perfect. A little high on the Vitamin N but I always sip. It's reminiscent of old tyme B&M blend something that my grandfather would smoke! I think it's one of those blends you like or dislike no in between. I fired it up in the old Omega but I don't think I would be hesitant to try in another, just tastes like tobacco with a little natural additive. As for the room note here TOLERABLE! Maybe people's noses have changed, I think they think of pipe tobacco as in Blue Note or Molto Dolce just my opinion. I'll enjoy it in the Man Cave on a winter night with the pellet stove going scanning the amateur radio bands for a distant country, hey he or she might be a piper and defiantly have something to rag chew about!!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.