Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Stephen King's 11/22/63 Will Be a Miniseries

(17 posts)
  1. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

I'm an avid reader but rarely do I read a book more than once. That said, I am now on my fourth reading of 11/22/63. For some reason every time I read this thing I realize something new or unique that I hadn't considered. For whatever reason, this book fascinates me, and not because I'm a history teacher. I think it's just the cool way King conceptualizes time travel. Anyone else a fan of this book?

I just found this on the Internet--I'm looking forward to how they depict this book on the small screen!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2879552/

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never read it, but I'm going to look it up based on your fascination with it

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a buddy that is in that show. He's a reporter.... with no dialogue lol. But he's very excited about it because this was the last stand in no dialogue he had to do before he can join the screen actors guild and try for better opportunities.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I liked the book a lot. I hope they do a good job with the miniseries. Under The Dome was also made into a tv series and it strayed quite a bit from the book, but was still enjoyable.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought it was an incredible read, and the fact that it featured a pipe smoker was an added bonus!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I loved that book. I thought the Dome strayed too far from the book and went on to long. Hopefully this one is better.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great book, Had some issues with propaganda, but Stephen King can spin a yarn. America's greatest living author. IMHO

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

I have a problem with Stephen King. I've read 2 or 3 of his books (about 15 years ago, I can't even remember which), and I'd invariably get hooked and enjoy it immensely. UNTIL. It turns out in the end that the killer was a giant worm from outer space, or some ghost that had never before been mentioned. It's not the twist ending per se, it's the ludicrous deus ex machina. To me, that felt like cheating. So I stopped reading him.

But you've picked my curiosity (plus: time travel AND pipe smoking!). Does 11/22/63 have this sort of "twist" ending?

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This one is time travel and does have a satisfying ending that syncs very well with the rest of the storyline. (no aliens!)

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Excellent. I'll pick it up, then

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Echie try The Dead Zone and Cujo. One of my Favorite King Novels is The Tommyknockers.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought that one when it came out, and still have not read it. Something else always seems to come up.

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jfox520

jfox520

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Stephen King's books I have read them all. I also hope that it does not stay far from the novel. Stephen King said from the very beginning that the Dome was not going to follow the novel.
    @echie You should try Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers.

Tobacco Reviews https://jfox520.blogspot.com/
    Over 10,000 page views.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. fearsclave

fearsclave

Login to Send PM

Really quite enjoyed that one; another fun JFK assassination nove is Stephen Hunter's The Third Bullet. The ballistics are vastly more credible than the plot, but as a fun examination of the technical holes in the various conspiracy theories by a writer who also knows guns, it's an interesting read.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Let's see if I can overcome my Stephen King prejudice

(Sorry to hijack the thread :P)

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Incidentally: I've read the book over my latest holidays, and it's indeed quite good! Thanks everyone for the recommendation, and specifically ssjones for making me not fear the ending, and all

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Glad to help!

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, weezell, trubka2, alexashe, 3rdguy, timelord, jrbjr, ajohnb, pepesdad1, ashdigger, npod