PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was perusing smokingpipes figuring their Thursday update would be coming soon. Normally as soon as I get their update, I go looking for estate American artisan pipes as I have gotten a few great deals from them.
Well low and behold, I got to see their updated pipes before they sent out the news letter and this Stephen Downie Apple called me. It is one of my favorite shapes in one of my favorite sizes, a large group 4-small group 5. It has a great looking Cumberland stem with a nice stem application. It is a tad heavier than my normal pipes at 59 grams but with the slight bend I am sure it will be comfortable and a great smoker. The blast on it is just ok, but I now go for smoking properties over looks all day. The walls are nice and thick and I have heard nothing but great things about his work. Best of all I paid only 135.00 for this pipe, I did a double take thinking maybe it is a misprint because I have seen most of his pipes even as estates going for over 300.00. I have been wanting to add a Downie for a while and I am totally psyched about getting this one.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ha, I just saw that one. Great price and the stem looks as if it would suit you, Harris -- very thin and comfortable looking. I'll be interested to hear how it compares with your Rad Davis pipes. Congrats.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys. I think that stem will be perfect for my tastes, the button looks well defined and the stem does indeed look nice and thin and flat. I will definitely report back on how it compares to my Rad's and other American artisan pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
That stem on that thing might be the most beautiful stem I've seen yet. Very nice. I hope it smokes like a dream for you. Enjoy the heck out of it :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anthony, thanks, I hear you about the stem, it totally caught my eye.
Thanks peck and fish.
Fish, I keep thinking I am going to get an email saying that the price was a typo and so sorry but we have to charge you more.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Great takedown. It seems a flawless pipe from the pictures. Obviously made with great diligence.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
Basing! Congratulations that is so beautiful. What a steal. The stem is to die for. That will smoke good for you I'm sure. Enjoy.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. It is extra special when you can get a great price. The orange stem band is a perfect reminder of Halloween. I hope you can enjoy it for many years.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Great grab Harris. I just saw the same pipe on the bay for $285 unsmoked. Boy, am I really tempted.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats Harris - that is a steal - you are under arrest my friend! Send it to me and I'll look the other way.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
You did very well and got a real beauty !
It's a shame that in Europe we don't get more American pipes, some great artisans in the USA !

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, it is appreciated.
Sp had it rated at 4.8 out of 5 as it had a little rim darkening so it should be prefect when it comes in. All the estate pipes I have bought at SP have said the same thing and when they come in a little spit and a rub gets what ever is on the rim right off. They do a great job of cleaning and restoring their estates. My Bruce Weaver I bought from them last month also said rim darkening, but when it came in, I couldn't see any.
castellarius, with all the internet dealers you can buy all the American artisan pipes that you want. I have never bought one in person and all mine(25) have come from online. I think you should go for a Rad Davis first, his pricing is in my opinion the best of all the American artisans and his pipes smoke as good as any pipes I have ever smoked and I have smoked my share of some pretty high line pipes. I own 16 pieces from him and everyone is a tremendous smoker. Rad is also great on commissions, he requires no deposit and he gets them done in a month or two in most cases.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Very nice! I've seen a few of his pipes in person at our local club meetings and I think they should all be great smokers by the looks of them. He uses great briar judging by the feel of them and he is a good guy. Though he's Canadian and America can't have him haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.