PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Anyone willing to give me a quick rundown on stems? Such as what are the common types of materials, and pros and cons of each. Thanks guys!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Vulcanite or ebonite are both a form of vulcanized rubber. Soft but very prone to oxidation and discolouring.
acrylic or lucite are a hard plastic. A bit harder on the teeth, but do not oxidize and discolour like vulcanite.
cumberland is simply, correct me if I am wrong guys, a style of acrylic stem. Traditionally cumberland is a brown and dark brown sort of swirled look.
002-015-1795.jpg

There are other exotic stems like amber and wooden stems and such, but they are not common.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Phil, short, sweet, and to the point. +1

I don't think any corrections are called for.

One addition possibly... Lucite can come in any color or combination of colors.
:puffy:

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Awesome, thanks so much guys. My pipe must have a lucite stem then. Anybody know anything about wooden stems? Are they at all practical?

dirtybearpipes

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2012
Oh, I just notices that the picture ohin3 posted has a wooden stem. That's beautiful! Thanks ohin3! I wonder how they hold up...

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I believe that's a cumberland stem dirtybearpipes. :D I have seen some older kaywoodie's that had a briar stem.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Some pipes do have wooden stems, some cheap Ukraine pipes have wooden stems, I don't know if I would like that.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Cumberland (also known as brindle) can be either vulcanite or lucite. I've heard some say that brindle is vulcanite and cumberland is lucite (and the other way around). Using the Dunhill pipe shown above as an example, this is definitely a vulcanite stem.

May 31, 2012
My favorite type of stem is the "military mount"

2011040410240915939.jpg

...on the same theme, but slightly different is the "army mount" or "spigot"

z-1.jpg

Also, if you ever find yourself in need of a new stem or simply want to replace an existing stem with a different style, I highly recommend the good folk at PipeMakers Emporium ---] the stems are "raw" and require finishing, but the process is fairly straightforward and it's a handy way to develop your restoration skills...however, bear in mind that the first few tries may be frustrating, I've demolished & messed up quite a few brand-new raw stems on my way to get it "just right"...

= )

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Now here is a stupid question, but is there a way to tell if you have a vulcanite or acrylic stem? I know I have one or two pipes with vulcanite stems, but a couple of others I'm not sure of and I don't really notice a difference when smoking them.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yes, Pawpaw, good point about Dr. Grabows. Definitely not vulcanite.
Cob stems, I believe, are made from some sort of cheese.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@nbpiper: Lucite or acrylic will be hard and shiny where as vucanite, though hardened through the vulcanization process, is still rubber and will feel, look and behave as such. I have found that vulcanite tends to be a bit more rough to the touch than acrylic and more flexible. Acrylic or lucite is just hard plastic and will not bend at all under light pressure. Vulcanite, like rubber, will bend under pressure.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
That is not a wooden stem, but a cumberland stem. I have never owned or smoked a pipe with a wooden stem, but I would guess that they don't hold up well. You would have to varnish the hell out of them if they were to hold up to teeth and saliva and at that point you would have a urethane sheath over wood so you might as well just get a plastic stem.

jcg87

Lurker
Nov 7, 2012
I currently use a CZECH pipe due to various reasons, the main being I cannot find my regular briar pipe that was given to me from a colleague. As it stands right now, the metal screw in my stem has snapped from wear and tear. Could someone point me in the right direction to replacing the piece?

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I love love love amber, unfortunately these days it's rather expensive. I do have a Baltic amber chunk that I am saving for a project that is yet to be decided, maybe it will be a stem if there is a pipe I feel is deserving.

Status
Not open for further replies.