Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Gentlemen,
I'm curious about the stems on Estate pipes that you've purchased. Do you change them out before smoking the pipe? If not, do the teeth marks bother you? How would you go about getting a new stem if you bought one that was broken?

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
If the theeth mark bother you, you can buy soft theeth grip for pipe and use them. After you clean the stem that is.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
How much does it typically cost to buy a stem from a place like Walker Pipe Repair? How does a service like that work? Do you send the pipe in and they send it back with a perfectly fitting stem?

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
You need to send the pipe, then you get a quote. I think a new stem is usually in the neighborhood of $25, but depend on the details. You need to send the pipe. They make a stem to fit your pipe; they don't have boxes of ready-made stems for certain brands and models of pipes that they can just send to you.
I've just cleaned and smoked the estates that I've purchased. A few marks on the stem are no big deal for me.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I personally hate teeth marks around the bit. I always use rubber pipe bits on my new or estate pipes. And estates I buy have to have a clean stem. Just a personal thing.
So the above is good to know if I absolutely have to have an estate with a bitten stem.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
If you don't like teeth marks you can do some basic repairs for them. Take an old vulcanite stem file it on a piece of scrap paper, then add a bit of superglue. Mix that together into a paste, then use something small to apply it. I use a piece of scrap cardboard thats very small. I let it set for a few hours till the glue sets then file it down then finish it off with sanding from coarse to super fine sandpaper. I then buff to a shine. If I find some pics I'll post them.
There is also a black glue some on here have used with very good results. I forgot the name of the glue.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
On rubber/vulcanite stems, teeth marks can often be smoothed out with heat. A lighter, candle or gas stove works for this. Get the stem hot and the dents will usually pop back out. However, be careful not to burn the stem. Gradual heat -- from a distance -- is best.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Toothmarks I would say are an aesthetic, rather than a functional, issue.
The repairmen already mentioned are all said to be good.
Old-style gritty toothpaste will get oxidation off; Obsidian Oil to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.