PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Ok guys, I realize obsidian oil is supposed to be used on vulcanite and cumberland (same thing?) stems only. Can anyone explain how to identify which is which. I have several preowned pipes that after being treated with ob oil the stems changed color as soon as my saliva wetted them. Brebbia nor halcyon will bring them back to original. A list of stem materials and what SHOULD NOT be used on them seems as important as what should be used.
Stan

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
To tell if a stem if vulcanite is pretty simple. Rub the stem with your finger long enough to generate some heat. If it is vulcanite, there should be a slight rubber smell.
Depending on the quality and age of the vulcanite will determine how long it will take before it starts to oxidize. I have some vulcanite stems that stay black no matter what, and others that will change colour instantly. It doesn't affect the smoking quality, but can look ugly.
As for treating the stems, obsidian oil works great. Just apply it after every smoke and it should keep you stems looking good. Keep in mind that it will no prevent them from oxidizing in the future, just bring them back after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.