PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Just a quick question about stems, if i wantedto change the type of stem say on a cob, how would i know the size. I don't mean in length i mean in actual fitment. I think i would prefer a rubber type stem tink they are called vulcanite or something, could i do that and just go online a buy a stem without worrying about the fitment size ?

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I believe there are replacement stems for MM cobs. If its a Briar you probably have to send it away for fitting

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
If your cob is a bent shape you could buy the stem for the MM Freehand as it's vulcanite. I did that for my bent Mark Twain cob, and it's only about $8 for one. You can buy it from MM listed in the left column here in red type, or other vendors listed. Hope this helps.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Old Log Cabin Pipe Works sells Forever Stems in vulcanite. The stems are made to fit most Missouri Meerschaum pipes.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
I live in the UK guys so it would cost me more in shipping than the pipe is worth, i checked that shop Jay and they don't do them or they don't advertise them.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Well, the fit in a MM mortise isn't a really precise thing. You could pick up a stem you like and fit it to the pipe using a file. As long as the tenon is larger than the mortise, you can carefully file the tenon and then the stem itself to make it look good. I installed a long stem in one of my MM pipes that way. A pipe shop should have an old stem or ebay has them for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several Forever stems from the previous management, which are great, much better than most MM stock stems, though a few MM pipes come with acrylic or Vulcanite. I haven't visited the new Forever stem site, but from my experience, I'd say read the info carefully so you know exactly what you are getting and what to ask for. Under the old regime, you always ended up with a no-filter pipe, often a good thing. You could request any length shorter than the original; they's cut it down to order. Since MM cobs can last for years and decades, especially in long rotation, the Forever stem improves the cob experience even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.