PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdobbs

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2011
4615518003_02463c3fcd.jpg

So when I first inspected my Peterson Donegal when it arrived, the stem was a little tight but still removable. After smoking it, however, I cannot seem to budge it anymore. Shouldn't be too much of a problem being an unfiltered straight stem, but it kind of bugs me all the same. Has anyone else had this problem?

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Let our pipe cool down before removing the stem. If it is still A little tight, rub a pencil over the tenon, the graphit well keep it A little looser

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had issues with tight stem. Be very careful when twisting it out. You may want to put it in the fridge for a while to shrink the stem. If you have some bees's wax put a little on the stem before you re-insert it. It should be fine from that point.

bobdobbs

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2011
Heh, I meant to say hours after smoking. I think i just figured it out. Seems as though it wants to be twisted counterclockwise. Thanks for the response though

bobdobbs

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2011
Huh, didn't know the frige would do that. Will keep that in mind :) thanks!

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
I had that same problem with a Pete also. I ended up wrapping the stem in a paper towel and taking a pair of pliers to it. I sanded down the tenon with some high

grit sandpaper and it works fine now.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I usually put mine in a vise, crank it down, and grab the stem with a pair of vise grips. Stem comes right out.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Long ago, I got in the habit of turning counterclockwise when removing a pipe stem. The old Grabows, etc. that had a threaded metal joint required that of course, and it seems to be a good habit to get into. I remove all my stems with a counterclockwise twist and put them back on with a clockwise twist... tenon, army mount, whatever.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I've got a Stanwell that has a perfectly fitting stem....unless it gets cold. Then I can "twirl" the stem in the shank with my finger.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
With pipe stems we are dealing with two things that have a large expansion contraction difference. The briar is effected by humidity, heat,cold the phase of the moon , the time of year and the birth sign of the carver (I think ). The vulcanite on the other hand is fairly stable. I find that sticking a pipe with a stuck stem in the freezer for a bit is the safest way to remove it. Then I give the tenon a liberal scribble of pencil graphite.

Status
Not open for further replies.