PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
The tales of eBay acquisitions never end... This one is a vintage (1940-1950?) Chacom Grand Cru. Looks to never have been smoked. The stem is as tight as a whaler ashore after a year at sea. I have tried the freezer trick to no avail. I really don't want to mess this beauty up - does anyone have any non-toxic suggestions? Liquid Wrench isn't a preferred option. Thanks in advance!
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Pete,
How long did you leave it in the freezer?? It should be left in overnight, about 10-12 hours.
Rich

4noggins.com

Reactions: Peter - CCB

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
Rich,
I tried after 1/2 an hour, put it back in for 2, then overnight... It seemed to turn slightly, but I don't want to force it. It's been back in the freezer for 5 hours again, in a ziploc bag so it doesn't take on any more humidity from the freezer. Suggestions?
And for the sake of accuracy, it appears that the Grand Cru from Chacom began in the 1970's. Still a very handsome dress pipe.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have had that problem with estate pipes and it is usually due to dried tars which have glued the stem solid. This is not a particularly non-toxic solution, but if you smoke it then wait for it to half cool, the heat and moisture from smoking will melt the old tars and you will be able to remove the stem. This trick also works for cleaning constricted, partially plugged stems. After smoking clean with a bristle pipe cleaner.

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
I'll try the gregarious approach, and if that doesn't help I'll go the professional repair route. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious as to how a professional might go at this differently, or the same way with different results.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Peteatease
Welcome to the forum.
I'm thinking of all types of suggestions, absolutely none of them really constructive. If this pipe is valuable, I agree with Roth. Send it out.
Good luck

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I had the problem last week & let some 151 rum drip down the stem a bit where it goes into the pipe (Like liquid wrench for metal) then the freezer again. It worked.

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
Having no alcohol readily at hand (long story), I'm trying sea salt tapped through the bowl into the stem. Seems like the physics of the thing would be that 1)moisture expands wood, and the absence of moisture would tend to allow wood (briar) to contract into itself. 2)salt may in theory draw out the moisture, and loosen the fitting. Same is likely true for high proof alcohol - it would drive out the moisture from the stem. Stay tuned and let's see if sober salt works... I'm not going to use brute force.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You may find that after a thorough cleaning of the ariway with alcohol, soaking and scrubbing the mortise to remove any gunk, the stem will respond to gentle persuasion, or another trip to the freezer after it has had time to dry out. Get the highest proof alcohol that you can, because the remainder is water, which can defeat your intent.
Since you indicate that the pipe is unsmoked, tar removal would seem to be not applicable.
Good luck!

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
Pure alcohol is next (for the pipe). Plain salt didn't do a thing in this case. I'll let you all know how I make out. I do appreciate all the help and advice.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Salt alone doesn't do anything. You use the alcohol to soften up whatever gunk is in the pipe and the kosher salt absorbs the gunk as the alcohol evaporates. If you're going to try the S/A treatment, make sure that you pack the airway with a couple of pipe cleaners and rest the pipe on a slight angle so that the alcohol doesn't run out through the bit. You can ruin the finish if alcohol comes in contact with it. Fill the bowl with kosher salt and drip in just enough alcohol to cover the salt. Leave it for a day. Once the alcohol has evaporated tap out the salt.
You can also just try cleaning out the airway. Get some bristle cleaners, dip them in alcohol, and swab out the airway. I would use the tapered variety, inserting the thicker end first, and using a combination of back and forth motion coupled with rotating the cleaner. You might just let the first couple of cleaners rest in the airway for an hour or so before scrubbing the interior. Some of the alcohol will work itself around the tenon and soften any residue.
If the cleaners come out dirty, continue until they come out clean. Finish with some dry fluffy cleaners. Gently try to rotate the stem. If it doesn't move, give the pipe a day or more to dry out before trying to remove the stem or use the freezer method again.
If the stem doesn't respond to treatment, send the pipe to one of the repairmen that have been recommended.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Man I wish I'd known this freezer trick, I've snapped 2 stems off in the tenon, they were on cheap pipes so I'm not too mad about it, but good tip, makes sense.

peteatease

Lurker
Nov 10, 2013
Patience seems to have paid off! Either the salt alone or the salt and 2 more days of freezer time did the trick. I didn't get out to pick up grain alcohol, and I just tried again and got lucky. This was really helpful in looking at the physics of the thing. Pipes are strange creatures with a complex interplay of materials, temperature, moisture, chemistry and spirit. I appreciate all the help and well thought and well meant advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.