PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiyachoppy

Lurker
May 1, 2016
I cleaned the stem of an "estate" pipe with a short bleach soak. I rinsed it well, dried it, and then cleaned it with alchohol. After it was all cleaned out, I ran water through it to rinse all the chemicals off, and dried it again. Now it smells like vinyl records left in the sun, kind of a plasticy, rubbery smell. Any thoughts on what happened, how to prevent it from happening again, and how to get rid of the smell?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have used oxi clean to soak stems with good success. After the soak I rinse well and use a magic eraser on the outside. Then I coat the stem with original Chapstick. The one with the black label. I coat the inside with a pipe cleaner also.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Try smoking it OP. The sulphur aroma will very likely abate over time and occasionally diminishes when smoked. Sulphur will always present to varying degrees when you abrade a vulcanite stem. With poor quality vulcanite the aroma may be present from the very start and may never go away.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Vulcanite stems will have a slight rubber smell as they are, in a sense, just hardened rubber. As long as the smell is not transferring through to the flavor of the smoke, I would not worry about it.
I have a Chacom Royale that had a very strong rubber smell when first purchased. After a couple of smokes, that smell all but completely disappeared.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
That's just what clean and warmed from the friction of rubbing on it, vulcanite smells like. It won't hurt a thing, and it will diminish on it's own.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've had a few pipes That kept that smell forever. I think it depends on the rubber formulation, where and how it's been kept over the years, and how much it has degraded.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Step 1. Throw stem in garbage.

Step 2. Have new lucite stem made for pipe.

Step 3. never worry about oxidation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.