PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I thought I'd share this handy trick with the D.I.Y guys. Wet sanding is a double edged sword. It sure makes those crusty old stems shiny again, but it can also soften the crisp lines of the original design. I made some miniature sanding sticks from craft sticks (popsicle sticks) and sand paper. Cut and superglue the grit of your choice to fit the craft stick. This works great when working around the edges of the stem. The multi angled shape of this stem is a good example. It's hard to see in the picture but the sides are flat and then there's an angled cut between the sides and the flat top. Doing this section by hand can round off the lines, but with a mini-stick, they will stay crisp. This stem has also been patched at the button area.
OPtibcql.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A good tip Dave. I've also used nail files to the same end. The basic cheapo kind one can buy in a CVS, they can typically be found in various "grits".

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great idea!
When the time comes, my resto process will go like this:
1. Send pipes to Dave

2. Wait short time and receive amazing looking pipes back! :D

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I do pretty much the same albeit in bulk & at various grits. I paint the back of a whole sheet of say 2500 grit paper with PVA glue, lay on the lollypop sticks then turn over onto a flat surface (kitchen worktop in my case) then lay an offcut of polished granite on top of the whole (to prevent the lollypop sticks 'curling'). After 24 hours all is dry and I then cut each stick away with a craft knife.
Regards,
Jay.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm with cobguy send it to Dave! But thanks for the tip. Still waiting on a buffing video. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.