Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Stem Replacement or Softy Bit?

(23 posts)
  1. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

I have a pin hole on the underside of my Peterson Aran 150 P-lip stem, and I dont know if I should either try and find a replacement stem for it, fix it or just throw on a softy bit. Granted I would like to get it fixed right, but trying to find a new stem might be a pain. Any and all advice is appreciated. thanks

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd have a stem fitted. You're obviously a biter, and those softy bits don't sit well between your teeth if you're a biter. Tried 'em, they suck.

If you need contact info for a couple of pipe repair places, lemme know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'd replace it if I were you.

The softy bits are like having sex with a condom, it's sort of OK, but you can't get used to it and it's never the same.

Depending on how "bad" the damage is, you might be able to fix it with Superglue or something (can't hurt to try -- whatchoo gonna do if you try fixing that stem, break it?)

A Peterson P-Lip stem replacement (vulcanite, with "P" logo) is around $40.

A "normal" generic stem replacement (vulcanite) is $24.

http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/html/pipe_repairs.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, if you replace it, you can get the HELL AWAY FROM A P-LIP!!!

Seriously, those things are très mal à l'aise.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not sure if Mike at Walker Pipe Repairs has Peterson fishtail stems in lieu of the P-Lip, but it is possible he can do the "normal" vulcanite stem (which has the fishtail button) and also apply the "P" logo on that. I say this because, Dave Wolff did that for me on a Charatan -- I had Dave make a "normal" vulcanite stem for my Charatan for me to use in lieu of the original D/C stem and he was able to apply the Charatan logo on my new stem as well -- I think the logo cost me something like $10 more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A pinhole can easily be filled with superglue. I just did a Comoys stem last week that had a crater. This is after the fix:

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The softy bits are like having sex with a condom, it's sort of OK, but you can't get used to it and it's never the same.

I don't like condoms but I like softy bits. Much easier to clench a pipe with one. I wasn't aware you could use a softy bit with a P-lip. I thought they were for fish tails only.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

I use both softy bits and those heat retractile tubes of rubber. Both work well depending on the stem. Many times I like to smoke while doing some work on my computer or grading some homework. Then I clench to hard and the are necessary.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Peterson will replace it for you, so you have a Pete stem. But I'm with Al, superglue

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

I am going to try the superglue and see how it turns out. Al, besides just applying it is there any thing else that has to be done to it, or no? Im not so much a biter but a clencher. The stem is off an estate pipe that I just picked up here recently.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, all steps in a stem restoration follow the super glue, sanding smooth, buffing the shine back etc. Check out the "Reborn Pipes" blog which details this process with pix and detailed explanations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. rev413

rev413

Login to Send PM

Alright will do. Thanks alot!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dong forget to grease/apply petroleum jelly to a pipe cleaner and insert it before the super glue is applied.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to grease/apply petroleum jelly to a pipe cleaner and insert it before the super glue is applied.

For sure!

It would really suck to clog the air way forever with superglue, or weld the pipe cleaner in there. Yikes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

hey guys, has anyone ever tried heat shrink tubing on the stem instead of softy bits? i have started using this stuff, and i thinks it performs well. just curious.

take care.
    mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

There is a thread here somewhere with heat shrink tubing and they even make it in food grade.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

waymon

Login to Send PM

If you have a old vulcanite stem you can do the following:
    Use a file and file off enough shavings to fill the hole.
    Insert a pipe cleaner into the stem
    Fill the hole with the filings
    Apply adaquate heat to melt the filings. Add more filings if nessasary to build up the patch.
    Allow patch to cool.
    Using a file, roughly file the patch.
    Finish smoothing the patch with sandpaper.
    Buff stem to high gloss, remove pipe cleaner and enjoy.
    I have done this many times and it is a permanent fix which is barely noticeable!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

I am a grinder where I move the stem side to side especially when I am driving or thinking about something. I have softy bits on all my pipes and I like them personally. I have a really nice Peterson pipe that I chewed a hole into. I put a softy on it and it works like new (to me).

I want to get the stem replaced eventually (including my P-Lip stem on my other Pete).

BTW.. at first I liked the p-lips.. not I am not very fond of them.

Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I might just have to give that a try Waymon!

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

hey guys, has anyone ever tried heat shrink tubing on the stem instead of softy bits? i have started using this stuff, and i thinks it performs well. just curious.

IIRC, BaronSamedi mentioned doing this. I'm thinking you can find the thread checking his posts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like condoms but I like softy bits. Much easier to clench a pipe with one. I wasn't aware you could use a softy bit with a P-lip. I thought they were for fish tails only.

Does anyone use condoms on their pipe stems instead of softy bits?

Seriously though, I'm glad some folks on here like the softy bits because I thought I was the only one. I am a clencher and I like the feel of them, and they protect the pipe stem. This is also why I am largely indifferent between vulcanite or lucite - doesn't really matter once you put a softy bit on. Interesting to see they bother some folks. Maybe I just have a big mouth so don't notice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mostly I don't use softy bits, but I recent bought one to use on a corncob pipe with its lesser plastic stem that had started to chew away.
    It allows me to continue to use the original stem without investing in either a new stem or a new pipe for a $7 corncob that has
    broken in nicely. I'm hoping to smoke it 'til the bowl cracks, which could take a while with lots of other nice briar pipes to smoke too.
    I actually bought this pipe at a convenience store in Missouri with a pouch of Sir Walter ... that was stale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd actually replace the stem with a new one..But I personally love the softy's..But they do have to be modified. To use them has is, I find awkward also. Try cutting the thick part off, gives a much lower profile and protects the pipe.

John
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smorgdonkey, darwin, warren, daimyo, antbauers, zekest, tbradsim1, anthonyrosenthal74, dwt63, crimsonrat, beefeater33, jmatt, n240sxguy, cmdrmcbragg