PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Greetings All!
Contemplating whether it is worth to replace the stem of this ehrlich imported briar. I am asking because the bottom portion of the stem seems chipped. Can anyone tell whether that is actually the case here?
photo_zps1e1a45c6.jpg

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If the stem works, just clean it and use it, if not, replace it. What does it matter if it's slightly chipped where no one can see?

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Eric,
Initially, I did want to make it simple by cleaning and using the stem. However, I've noticed when the stem is attached to the shank, there is less than a millimeter of space visible. I just thought that the stem needs to be completely attached to the shank.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What do you mean less than a millimeter of space visible, I'm trying to picture this in my head. Do you mean you can see a gap? Pipes have gaps all the time from not lining up stem and shank perfectly, this is nothing to be worried about, unless it's an expensive brand new artisan pipe (half my briar pipes have this issue). Or are you saying that you can see a gap because it is chipped? As the chip appears to be on the very end, I don't see how this is possible. Just trying to understand your issue, perhaps you can take a picture of it together and show us?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like the tenon has been shortened,maybe broken and then chewed on by mice! It may not be the original stem for the pipe,but one that has been cobbled to fit it-somewhat. If you like the pipe it is probably worth having a replacement stem fitted. A replacement vulcanite blank would not be very expensive to have fitted.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Unfortunately, I cannot say for sure that the "gap" is due to the chip. However, I hope that this photo will shed some light.
photo2_zpsfcd68c22.jpg
[/url][/img]

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Just a poor fit.

Looks like maybe it used to be banded and someone shortened it. Harder than it looks because of said surfaces to match flush requires often to reshape the stem with a bit of finesse. Or its a less than perfect replacements from earlier in its history. Just vanity? Then its about how much it bothers YOU when you smoke it.
My vote is clean her up. Polish her up...fill her up, then light her up!
If its a real favorites then maybe a new stem will be fun. But if not. Then you just found your new fishing/outdoors pipe.
Just my .02

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
Reason for replacement is solely cosmetic in on my part. Regardless of that, replacement will certainly depend on the price :)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Mike at Walker Briar Works pipe repair service will fix her up for $40 good as new including shipping or in that ballpark. If I were you, I'd just clean the pipe up and smoke it as is. That gap is not caused by the chip and I to suspect the pipe has been shortened and now the stem doesn't fit it perfectly.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Ebay usually has pipe bowls sans stems for sale. One on there now has an oval shank. Are stems, including ovals and squares available? Or are these machined adaptations of round ones?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the stem fits in the shank and it draws well, a new stem isn't necessary at this point. But if you like the pipe

and you'd like it to look snappy, a trip to pipe rehab wouldn't be that expensive and would make you more pleased

with the pipe. If it annoyed me, I'd do it. You'll value the pipe more, and enjoy it more.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Heff, I'm with you. If it were my pipe, that gap would bother me too. I'd have to get a replacement stem.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sometimes built up crud in the mortise will keep the stem from seating flush.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
I appreciate everyone's feedback and kind suggestions. It unavoidable that the Ehlrich will meet an outcome :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.