PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I used to do that, but the stem on my first pipe started to get noticeably loser than it was before.
I only have good pipes so I try not to remove the stem as much. It's difficult with bent pipes, though.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I split a LOT of shanks by removing the stem after each smoke.
So no, don't do it. And when you do remove it, do so only when the pipe and stem are cool and remove the stem by twisting it in a single direction (not back and forth). An artisan pipe maker once told me to only twist the stem in a CLOCKWISE direction, because that's the direction of the drill bit when he drilled the tenon.
Take that last little bit of wisdom as you will.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
I followed that method as well, I even did it clockwise (although I didn't know that bit about the drill bit)
Still my stem is looser than it was :(

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Never! I got one that doesn't allow a pipe cleaner easily through and one that doesn't at all, so that is a bit of a challenge, but I only have pipes that can pass a pipe cleaner and I love fully bent pipes the most, go figure! My system Pete does have it removed and cleaned every few smokes, but not every single one (has no chance of clearing a cleaner).

Jan 8, 2013
so it's not really necessary to remove the stem every cleaning then. I'm wary of removing the stem on my pipe because I had two pipes that died an early death. They were pretty cheap and had been allowed to cool between two to five hours. On one the stem broke off in the shank and the other the shank split longways. I was able to piece together one pipe with another stem, but the stem doesn't fit as well as it should. I'll be ordering a couple new pipes (nordings) once my tax check comes in, and will probably keep this other one at least for rotation purposes. Doesn't smoke as well as it used to but it's not terrible. I may order a replacement stem for it as well. I'm wondering if I should cool the pipe in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes before stem removal, regardless of how long it sits after a smoke. Would that help as well?

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I only remove a stem if I am doing the big cleaning job. Other than that it stays on, and never take off a stem when it is still warm after smoking.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
timely +1
ps. If native Americans are authorities on this, then I'm doing it all wrong. They would never keep an unlit pipe in one piece. Joining the stem and bowl is a sacred invitation to the gods to come into one's presence. They wouldn't do it if they didn't intend to begin smoking immediately.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I agree with Fred Hanna, I take them off while they are hot, if you think about it both the shank and the tendon have both expanded and yes I go in a clockwise direction, I have never broken a stem while smokeing, pipes clean better while hot, tars remove , they don"t remove when they are cold IMHO. The old cajun

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I won't smoke a pipe that will not pass a cleaner while it is still in one piece.

I run a cleaner through it halfway through my smoke and again when I am done my smoke. I run an alochol dipped cleaner though it after 3-4 smokes. It comes apart only after 10-15 smokes for a better cleaning.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll separate the bowl and stem only once a month, if that. When I do it's to scrub the shank with alcohol. That's it.

I totally gave up on salt (actually cotton) and alcohol treatment for the bowl. It didn't seem to make a difference so long as the shank is clean.

Jan 8, 2013
My previous comment reminded me of an article by Rick Newcombe that touches on this topic, and has some interesting opinions.
Thanks for posting that link, Cortezattic. I've bookmarked it so I can look it up when needed.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I wait until the pipe has dried to remove the stem. I think that the moisture after smoking causes the wood to swell. Removing the stem immediately after use would cause more wear on the mortise. Although, old Cajun's experience does not show that. Go figure! 8)

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
If the drill bit is turning clockwise, wouldn't the scratching caused by drilling be counterclockwise. Just a thought.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have always removed mine after each smoke once it has cooled down. Im not sure if this is the right or wrong thing to do, but i have alot of savinelli's that you cant get a cleaner though because of the filter. Also my other thought was if you let it sit and not clean it may get goopy and make it harder to take apart, hence increasing a chance of cracks????

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
I don't think there's a right or wrong opinion on this TBH. But folks are certainly opinionated about it LOL.
I agree, although at the same time, I pay attention to what those were doing who said they damaged pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I clean my pipes every morning from the day before and always remove the stem to do so. I could never clean them to my satisfaction by keeping the pipe together. While I am smoking I never take the stem off.

Status
Not open for further replies.