PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spok12

Lurker
Oct 7, 2017
Hello, i just bought a peterson pipe with a vulcanite stem and just by touching it it became brownish, at least less dark than before.

I knew that vulcanite does become yellowish with the time but this one is brand new ( smoked it just one time this afternoon) so does anyone know if it's a big deal or not ?

I also put a link to a photo i just took ( the colour of the stem looked like the colour of the bowl when fully knew) it was a dark black.
http://hpics.li/ffe74e8
Thank you

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
That is oxidation. I would wet sand it with 600 grit sandpaper until you see a little black colour (to minimimize stem material loss) and than go with 1200 up to 2000grit. Do atleast the button so that you don't get the taste of oxidation. If you would want to do the whole stem, than remove the stem from shank so that you don't damage the shank ring. Also be carefull when removing material at the shank-stem part, because you can easily remove too much material from the stem so that it would be flush anymore (would recommend to start there with 1000grit sandpaper).
PS. Welcome to the forum.

spok12

Lurker
Oct 7, 2017
But the thing is that my pipe is new, isn't it weird that it's so much oxydated knowing that i bought it a few hours ago ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But the thing is that my pipe is new, isn't it weird that it's so much oxydated knowing that i bought it a few hours ago ?
Yes, that IS weird. When you state that it went brown just by touching it, do you mean that it actually showed lighter fingerprints where touched?
Is it possible that it's new old stock that has been sitting around for a while? Before sanding off the discoloration, try saliva and a rag to remove any deposits you may have left around the bit from smoking it. But, It IS pretty strange.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's the picture. It looks like it was exposed to direct sunlight.
677515IMG1892.jpg

It's not a big deal, but you've got a clean-up job ahead of you.

spok12

Lurker
Oct 7, 2017
To answer sablebrush52, yeah it shows fingerprints when i touch it, but if i rub it it goes away, and leaves this green tone behind, also thank you all for answering me :)

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I had bought a Peterson St Patricks Day 2014 pipe earlier this summer. I had similar problems. The pipe had been left in the sunlight for years. The price tag sticker on the stem had even left an image on the stem itself when took off the sticker!.The whole stem was this weirdish green,which I thought was because of st patty but, it was oxidation from being left in the sun for years. After some of wet sanding with ultra fine sand paper and also some obsidian oil, I have been able to restore my pipe to like new condition.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Oh Yes,I have been there two times with similar issue and with the same retailer,and specifically with Peterson pipes,I claimed a partial refund to which the seller of course accepted($10)but better I ought to have sended it back, did some cleaning job and all went nicely but since I ain't got no wheel puffer here so very tiny scaretches were left after the job was done,

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
We were on a half days trip from Westport to Castlebar,Ireland.

And there was a shop who sold almost everything from a few pipes to pictures to wake up in the morning clocks.

And there were that brand new Peterson 80s in the window. I am going in to buy it, I said. But the madam wanted to

visit another shop first and when we returned the shop was closed.
Do not worry she said, it will be here next year................and so it was, but the stem were green......

I did not buy it.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I had a similar situation and used a magic eraser to remove the oxidation. It worked pretty well and the stem hasn't been a problem since, with semi-regular cleaning. It's a good idea to seal or coat the stem with some wax, mineral oil or chapstick to slow/prevent future oxidization. There is a recent thread about it somewhere.
I still haven't tried micro-mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.