PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
I just took my first shot at restoring a few estate pipes,one of which was a windy perpetual dry smoker. The stem was tan color and after scrubbing for a half hour with a tooth brush I got it to a dark brown. Is it possible that is the color of the stem or should I keep working at it?

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
I'll give the soft scrub a shot. I did two other pipes that seemed to be in worse shape and they came out great.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
If the bit was tan, you have a very thick layer of oxidation. Soak the bit for a couple of hours in Oxy Clean and then sand starting with 600 grit and progressing to 1000, 1500, 2000 and then 2500. That will remove the oxidation and most of the scratches from the heavier grades of sandpaper. To restore the luster you'll need micro mesh pads they start at 1500 and go to 12000 grit. The human eye can't see the scratches left by 12000 so the bit looks shiny. Sand very carefully around any logos as the sandpaper will remove them pretty quickly. Here is a picture of bits done this way. Al Jones uses a final coating of McGuire's plastic polish to retard future oxidation. It can be applied by hand. (you can get the above grades of sandpaper at your local auto parts store in the body work section)

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I remember the first briar I bought. The stem was a nice even brown and I thought, "That's a neat color stem". Little did I know... LOL :crazy:

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I'll post some pictures later for what you can do with basic household items. If limited on supplies, scotch Brite, magic eraser, toothpaste and old shirt will work but not as well as other stuff. It can be done with a bit of work and tough scrubbing. Though there are many threads explaining methods. Also check out reborn pipes.com. Also, as scotch Brite is extremely abrasive, be delicate and expect serious scrubbing if you scratch it much. I found its best to help remove faster with magic eraser seems to help out. Also getting near the button. Though sand paper/micro mesh is the best way to go. So do what's recommended if possible.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
Started a Kaywoodie stem this morning that was pretty oxidized, started with Soft Scrub and used heat remove the stubborn area's of oxidation , it also raised some of the chatter at the bit/button portion of stem, just needs micro-mesh now to finish.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
Wow that looks fantastic. Any advice on cleaning out the inside of the bowl. I used ever clear and kosher salt, is the ultimate goal to get it down to bare wood or do I want to leave a thin layer of "tar" on an estate pipe?

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
You will get mixed answers there, I take my estates back to briar so I can see the start of a burn out so it can be repaired ,others leave a thin layer of cake so ultimately its up to you. I too use EverClear but I use cotton balls instead of salt in the end the results seem the same.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Salt and Everclear aren't meant to remove the cake so much as to remove some of the tars embedded in the cake and briar underneath. I would not take an estate down to wood unless some very special circumstances pertained.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
There was only a thin layer of tar,but after a 24 hour soak I cleared the salt-ever clear mixture out and began using Qtips soaked in ever clear. It seemed to me that I would have had to use 1,000 swabs to get down to bare wood.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
You can sand it. I want a pipnet reamer, I would imagine they can go to wood. Sorry haven't gotten around to pics yet, household items work, but an investment in proper stuff is a good idea if your going to do estate pipes. Unfortunately money is an issue here, so I make do.....but has taught me it can be done.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
OKAY So, one of these....in terrible shape. I actually didn't go deep enough so there is still slight oxidation. What I get for working in terrible lighting. However, the Hialeah is pretty good. Considering the method, i'm happy and it doesn't taste like rust, shows a reflection. Good enough for me. But here are the examples of what is possible with scotch brite, magic eraser, toothpaste, and an old t-shirt. Excuse the floral sheets....and the big beard hair I just yanked out...took the pictures quickly....not in a caring mood about the background :)
NOTE I did clean the bowl as well, so if it appears more shined....warm water and a soft tooth brush did the trick.
IMG_0339_zpsm9ptyzcr.jpg

IMG_0416_zpshm4wkvee.jpg

IMG_0343_zpsjwalfflm.jpg

IMG_0419_zpsxtycden2.jpg

IMG_0418_zpsdpawou9u.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsjbvhkieh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.