PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I just read the thread on the cracked Radice and saw that it was mentioned that the stem didn't sit flush up against the briar. This is the case of my Brigham, its been like that since out of the box. I'm a bit OCD so it actually really bothers me but I'm not sure what I can do. Its not a huge gap but its there. Is it possible to heat the stem? Or is that a bad idea since this is a filter system Brigham pipe?

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
I have a Karl Erik that is the same way but it smokes fine.I will say that it bugs me though.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
DO not heat the stem. We need a better description of what's going on - is the tenon bottoming out and not allowing the stem to go on all the way? Is it a gap all the way around or only in a part of the joint?

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
My (cracked) Radice is one of a few pipes that I have with stems that are a few microns off-flush. It bothers me a bit, but no more or less than other small flaws that I see on my pipes. I have been assuming that any fix would likely do more harm that good, so I haven't pursued the issue.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The best way to get a flush stem is to buy one from someone who makes pipes by hand and takes pride in their work, ones from factories typically do not come perfectly flush most of the time, it is a very hard thing to accomplish. Not all pipes come with perfectly flush stems, it is really up to the pipemaker to decide how flush they want to make their stems, I reciently recieved a Savinelli which wasn't quite flush and I would have happily kept it had the shank not been broken, I won't name where I got it from since they are attempting to make it right. At the $50 range, I wasn't expecting perfection. How much is your pipe that your having this issue?

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
a photo would allow for better advice...
that being said, various pipes I've restored such as some of my Disney World Pipes and my Birth year 1975 Dunhill had a slight gap in one side as if the stem was crooked. The stem was not loose and slid in straight as it should but when it met with the shank there was about a hair gap on one side.
I took fine sandpaper 1000grit and a flat piece of wood to create a firm and flat sanding surface, then sanded around the touching edge and slightly up the sides so as to turn the angle just slightly; almost imperceptibly. really just watching the surface to indicate progress of sanding. Finally finished with a flat sand across the whole surface to ensure a flat plane. My pipes are now flush 360 degrees around the shank.
Of course it all depends on the pipe and the nature of the misalignment.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I actually fixed my first crooked pipe well before I ever carved my first pipe. I only meant to say, its not as difficult to fix as it seems and someone should be able to fix that without too much difficulty.
If you are comfortable with some fine sanding, you may be able to do it.

If you arent comfortable then definitely dont risk making it worse.
Just wanted to give some hope. :)

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
and obviously never try your first attempt on something worth anything....

Always use something you wont care so much about...
It should be fixable. Whether by you or someone else, hope is out there! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.