PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yay. (This is how I feel after a day of dicking with this upload business ----> :crazy: )
One project broken down into 23 steps. Nothing left out, every trick revealed. :puffy:
The steps are arranged as a "playlist" for anyone who wants to watch them in order without having to click each individually.
You can still cherry-pick and/or skip them in any sequence you like, but one click will start the series and keep them going if desired.
Me? I'm off to take a nap, I think. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9u2tpfN9YHX8_twWicJIfB&disable_polymer=true

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I am going to watch the whole thing tonight after the wife and boy go to sleep. Thanks for doing this!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I've made it through part 14 tonight (Friday) George. I have a question; location of the white dot on the barrel of the stem, distance from the stem/shank join, or distance from the saddle radius? My inquiring mind is curious!
:)

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
Was able to watch 6 last night. Very nice setup and the videos are put together real well. I'll watch some more tonight. :D

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
These are really fantastic, George. Really. Even for folks who will never make a stem, anyone who watches these will have a much greater appreciation for the skill and time it takes to do the job with excellence. Your attention to detail is apparent throughout the videos, starting with your careful choice of tools to the subtleties of matching the shape of Dunhill's original button. The video production itself is excellent too, George. I'm halfway through the series now and hope to watch the remainder later today. I've learned so much already.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I have a question; location of the white dot on the barrel of the stem, distance from the stem/shank join, or distance from the saddle radius?
I've watched the old Dunhill shop films, and you can tell that dot placement was simply done by eye. A PRACTICED eye, for sure---the production line had a "dot man" who did nothing else all day--but no measurement seems to have occurred. In the case of the 6475, just ahead of the mid-point of the barrel was it, according to Internet image searches. 57/43-ish, percentage-wise:
s-l1600-2_copy.jpg

173184583642_1_copy.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, did the old Dunhill videos show how the "dot man" prepared and inserted all those ivory dots??

:rofl:
But, again, thank you! :worship:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I've watched the old Dunhill shop films, and you can tell that dot placement was simply done by eye. A PRACTICED eye, for sure---the production line had a "dot man" who did nothing else all day--but no measurement seems to have occurred. In the case of the 6475, just ahead of the mid-point of the barrel was it, according to Internet image searches. 57/43-ish, percentage-wise.
Works for me George. In the end, I watched ALL the videos last night! :D

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Very generous of you to share this information.
Yes, it's a true gift, and agreed, very generous.
These are really fantastic, George. Really. Even for folks who will never make a stem, anyone who watches these will have a much greater appreciation for the skill and time it takes to do the job with excellence. Your attention to detail is apparent throughout the videos, starting with your careful choice of tools to the subtleties of matching the shape of Dunhill's original button. The video production itself is excellent too, George. I'm halfway through the series now and hope to watch the remainder later today. I've learned so much already.
I second Craig's thoughts. I'm at part 10, and it's already better than the last season of The Walking Dead! In all seriousness, thank you for doing this video series George. It truly is generous of you and it will serve as an educational resource for all inspiring pipe repairmen until a meteor hits the earth and kills us all, or until the internet is taken over by extra-dimensional beings, and we're all eaten by zombies... meaning for some time come. Bravo sir! :clap: :worship: :puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jvn,
I am indeed a cat. I captured a human fair and square---it's what we do---and am now controlling its feeble brain with my vastly superior feline one.
At first I had it pet me and bring me food all day, but that became boring, so I started experimenting to see how complex a task I could manage. Pipe repair was the result.
You meat puppet humans are actually quite handy to have around. When I'm not fixing pipes with mine to earn Fancy Feast Tuna & Gravy money, I make toys with it, or just lie it on the floor to be a squishy warm cushion.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have watched about half of them and even though they go to a level I may never achieve. I have learned new and useful information in every video so far. Thank you Georged. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.