PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I bartered and saved and got myself a Ruby Bark Dunhill... it's a size 3 pot. Small, nice pipe. The stem is on very tight. I am afraid to twist or yank it too hard... Do you have any advice?
This is the pipe: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=191504
Thanks LT

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
A little graphite on the tenon next time it's out? Just a guess though... wait until an expert chimes in.

Might try putting it in the freezer before you try again...
Also, congrats. Beautiful.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Edited the above to include a suggestion about putting it in a freezer for a while, then trying it.

That or let it acclimate to your area for a while...

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I bought an old Dunhill a month ago and the stem is also tight, but I did manage to get it out, since then I've been using my Vauen lubricant on the tenon after each smoke, and it became easier and easier to remove over time.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Maybe a quick email to S.P. And let them know. If you do get it ou, I'd recommend a bit of bees wax on the tenon. It can be gotten at the hardware store and is used for putting on screw threads.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am just throwing this out there as I have never tried it but....maybe put it in the freezer for an hour? Maybe in a ziplock bag?
We all know the heat expands and cold contracts.....?
Opps... I should have read all the posts.. 8)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This worked for me a couple of days ago for a Shire churchwarden, which often has notoriously difficult stems to remove: after trying the usual methods, freezing and so forth, I got a can of automotive silicone spray lubricant, sprayed right into the appropriate area, and allowed to sit overnight. In the morning the stem popped off.

My Castello sea bark Dublin started doing that as it warmed up last month. Unfortunately, I've had it for a few years. I am weary to sand it a smidge, because it all may acclimate back to what it was. I just hate not having it perfect though. It drives me crazy to have to skip it on my rack of rotations.

I would contact SP asap.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
My two Rubies, bought new from SPC, have their tight stem days. I'm chalking the issue on mine to a combination of the silver band (which seems to be pressure fitted onto the shank, old skool), humidity ( 2 miles from the Atlantic shore and au-naturel no HVAC year round unless absolutely necessary ) and the tenon-to-end-of-mortise fit of these two guys, which is pretty much gap less. The one Ruby that has seen more action seems to be looser. You can try the freezer trick, but don't force the stem out or use pliers etc.... 8O

OR

Call someone at SPC. I'll take a look at it if you end up sending it in....since I'm one of the two who deal with tweaking such things....

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Freezer +1

And pencil on the tenon once you get it out.

Dunhill does not guarantee a nicely fit stem in all kinds of weather. That's pretty common.

If you really want it always perfectly fit, get a Jess or Ivarsson...

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I own one Dunhill its a 2001 shell prince. The woman I love does not care for the smell of a freshly smoked pipe. When I finish smoking I let them rest for an hour and then set them on a table on the balcony. I notice that in the winter the Dunhill stem gets almost loose enough to fall out. An hour inside tightens it right back up.

Aug 14, 2012
Unfortunately this has become a problem on some of the recent Dunhills. Poor fitting. I have no solution except don't take the stem off. Graphite does help. And remember not to leave the stem off the pipe for any length of time. Wood changes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Amen to that. If a stem comes out easily when hot, it's all right to remove it briefly in my experience. Clean it quickly and re-insert it.
OP: Have you smoked it a bit? In any event, never yank on a bit! Twist and shout.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
As a 2008 I'm assuming the pipe has been smoked. There is sometimes a bit of buildup in the mortise area. If you've managed to get the stem out, use a q-tip and alcohol to swab out the mortise until clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.