PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I'm not that happy with superglue and charcoal. It works yes but is a mess and always seems to leave a brownish sheen when finished, looking like all the oxidation was not removed. This may be from me doing something wrong but I'm just wondering if anyone has found a better solution. I know there are tinted glues like the one from stewmacs and also loctite. I don't know if the rubber strengthened ones would work well.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I recently did a video about this on YouTube where I tried a few different approaches.
I found vulcanite dust and black superglue worked best. Means you need a sacrificial stem though.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am working with T-88 epoxy glue with their black colorant additive. So far it looks good, but I haven't finished polishing any yet. This came by recommendation from someone at pipe makers forum.

I recently bought some G-flex epoxy and I haven't tried that yet. That was actually recommended for briar repairs since it is flexible.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
At a local hobby store. Hobbytown USA. Bought primarily for my helicopters, but works well with stems.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Uperepik - I'm a bit puzzled by the brown haze you're getting. While there are formulas preferred by others, I currently use only activated charcoal and high-quality cyanoacrylate. It sounds like you're saying that the patch itself is brown? Cuz if so...that just doesn't sound right, since charcoal is black as night. Take us through your finishing steps, once you file down the patch to the proper shape...from there to finish. Maybe it's something in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.