PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I have some small edge nicks on the sharp tapered edge of one of my stems. I cant sand it away without changing the lines and shape of that part of the stem. How do I make fills that appear black that will sand back to nearly imperceptible appearance?
I was thinking of grinding up an old stem into dust and mix it with epoxy or other glue, not sure crazy glue is the right medium but maybe a slow cure version - like 10 minute gap filler like I use in model making.
Anyone have recommendations or tips?
I have read somewhere here that someone had tried crazy glue with mixed success.
This stem is for my Perkins Special 469 Made in England.

Keith

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Clean the nicks up and give this a shot:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2084563/38158/Stick-Fast-CA-Black-Flex-Glue-1oz.aspx?keyword=&refcode=10INGOPB&device={device}&network={network}&matchtype={matchtype}&gclid=CK3U54Tt0LoCFYqk4AodJz4ASg

I know some guys have had good results with it.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Thanks for the link. I'm going to try this stuff too along with the black crazy glue. It says "flexible", I wonder just how flexible/soft it stays.
JB weld with lampblack pigment I have found does pretty good job. It is a close match for the vulcanite stems that are polished to a satin shine. For "glassy" polished stems, it is not such a good match.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I was going to ask about JB Weld, so thanks for bringing up that product.
I like the idea of the CA product and will test it on some junk stems first. Probably be days before I can find it and get around to using it.
Thanks!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
There is a video on the page and they say it IS a "CA". They also show something they used it on and it shines nice in the video.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I meant to show you this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Stewart-MacDonald_Super_Glues/Super_Glue.html
Used in guitar work, and it's available in three different viscosities. I've used the medium with quite good results.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Wayne tuell,
I can't find our correspondence but hope this gets to you.
I got the letter you sent. Thank you. I have not been able to try the process with lamp black as I am moving and all is packed.
Will post pics when I can.
Thanks again !

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have had excellent luck with the Stick Fast CA product from my local Woodcraft. I was able to rebuild a badly chewed diamond saddle to look new.
Follow along with Steve at Reborn Pipes, and remember to take it slow and steady. My stem looked as bad as the one he repairs in this post, and while I'm not nearly as good as he is, mine looked passable.

Status
Not open for further replies.