Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Stem bleach test

(3 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last night I took an old dirty, and broken vulcanite stem and cut it into four pieces, then put these in jars containing:
    Water
    25% Bleach
    50% Bleach
    100% Bleach Soaked for four hours. Brown gunk leaked out into the bleach solutions and not the water. Roughly the same amount in each.

From right to left increasing strength.
    They dried overnight and this morning left a white powder coating on the stems but not on the freshly cut edges. I gave them a quick going over with wet and dry then polished with Savinelli stem polish giving each a fairly even attention.
    With the exception of the pure water which has polished up still green/brown the others have come up pretty much the same. That is almost black.

I did this to better understand the process ready for trying it on some of my nice pipes.
    Owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bleach heavily oxidized stems using a 50-50 ratio. After removing them from the bleach I wash them inside and out with warm water and soap then rinse well. Length of soak varies by the amount of oxidation.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen:

I should probably follow Mister Ed's lead. He is, hand's down, one of the best damned pipe resto guys who actively participates on our little bitty footprint here at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums

I use a 75/25 bleach soak and whale the tar out of my green stems with an assortment of micromesh pads. Just keep washing & rinsing and you'll be fine.

Believe me, pal. If I can do it, anybody can.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jrii, gatorlope, taildraggin, renfield, cortezattic, ben88, sablebrush52, lightxmyfire