PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I think we can all imagine the archetypal pipe smoker - bit between his teeth, holding his pipe there while he puffs away and converses (if with others) and only occasionally taking it from his mouth. But just now during my smoke (which went far better than my first attempt) I found I got a far more satisfying and successful draw if I held the tip of the stem between my lips rather than teeth. I found I could eliminate gurgling (which I probably shouldn't be getting anyway) and emit a fuller, denser cloud from my mouth. This way I was getting those wonderful room notes that I'd always hoped would be present when smoking a pipe, just as they are when in the presence of a pipe smoker, but I was also able to keep the tobacco lit for much longer.
I know it probably boils down to individuals simply doing what works for them, but is this a common preference (teeth Vs lips) ?

Jan 8, 2013
I suppose for many, it depends on if clenching or not. Of course, while clenching, you have to have the bit in your teeth. But otherwise, between the lips is fine. I rarely clench myself, and find that having the bit between my lips is more comfortable for me. Anytime you're most comfortable, you'll achieve a better smoke.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I rarely clench myself, and find that having the bit between my lips is more comfortable for me.
I suspect more people draw from the lips than I'm imagining, but I do admit to having this stereotypical 'clencher' in my mind whenever I think about pipe smokers. Probably from watching too many youtube videos where the person tends to clench so that the pipe is in shot more often. Although I did hear one guy apologise for talking while clenching, saying it was rude to do so.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are times I clench, and times I don't. I breath smoke both ways, and produce nearly imperceptible wisps of smoke. Whichever way works and is comfortable to is the way to go.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Teeth use can leave unwanted marks on the stem if you're not careful as I've witnessed with some estates.
If anyone cares to explain some advantages to do this, I may rethink my attitude. But I'd still be afraid to hurt my pipe.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Never was a clencher unless I’m driving. Otherwise the pipe is in my hand and held between the lips. Many times on the outside of the lips.
Also, your smoking style will likely evolve through different stages. Lip smoker today, constant clencher tomorrow.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm yet to find a way to draw when clenching without inhaling and/or being able to blow out the smoke without also blowing into the pipe.
The way I smoke is akin to drawing a drink with a straw; so, yeah, lips only, which means I have to hold the pipe in my hand. I can also control the draw better this way.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
The way I smoke is akin to drawing a drink with a straw; so, yeah, lips only, which means I have to hold the pipe in my hand. I can also control the draw better this way.
As would be expected I'm still very much in the experimental mode. But with this last bowl I found I took quite a large step in discovering a technique which is very similar to the one you describe here.
Thanks for all the replies - it's all good ammunition for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just another data point: I always hold the pipe - or just draw when holding- between the teeth. One reason saliva doesn't find its way down the stem.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I always hold the pipe - or just draw when holding- between the teeth. One reason saliva doesn't find its way down the stem.
Interesting as I found the exact opposite. Another reason I found drawing on the pipe as if sucking on a straw was better for me, was because clenching created too much saliva.

Status
Not open for further replies.