PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I know many Bamboo shank pipes are reinforced with steel tubing. I have also seen this on Briar pipes, especially longer pipes and pipes with thin (pencil) shanks. My questions are does this tubing tend to interfere when passing a pipe cleaner through it, and does the shank get hotter because of the heat conducting properties of steel and other metals? I am talking to a carver about my next four commissions, one of which will be a Pencil Shank Billiard, between 6 1/4" & 6 1/2" long. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having it reinforced with steel tubing inside the shank, connecting to the tenon? Anybody have pipes like this?
Tim

You have this question going in a couple of threads now, ha ha.

Does the steel tube interfere when passing a pipe cleaner through it?

No, not at all. They are made the same way that Eltang uses stainless drafts.
Does it cause the shank to get hot (metal DOES conduct heat, after all)?

No, not at all. My stems never get hot. You'll find that many, many of the best pipe makers have been using stainless for a while now. Especially in the pencil thin shanks and bamboo. It is tested, tried, and true.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No, not at all. My stems never get hot. You'll find that many, many of the best pipe makers have been using stainless for a while now. Especially in the pencil thin shanks and bamboo. It is tested, tried, and true.
100% this. ^^^^
Properly installed and when high quality material is used, a stainless-steel-lined shank airway isn't just problem-free, it's superior to a non-lined shank in every way. Easier to clean and keep clean, does not affect taste or perceived moisture level, and adds strength.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Cosmic - Thank you! A couple of the Regina Scarlatta pipes I'm choosing between has them, and Jesse asked me if I wanted on in a (future) commission we are discussing. My initial answer was "No, I want the bare wood. I'm not a rookie who's going to break his pipe!". Now, I am reconsidering. I mean, I MAY have, possibly, kinda', you could say, broken a stem and/or cracked a shank once or twice in my life. :oops: To be fair though, I broke the stem trying to open the draft enough to fit a thin pipe cleaner through a basket pipe. No real loss and experience gained! :wink:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Georged - Good to know. Thanks for the great advice! I think I've decided on the RS pipe. The steel thing almost made me choose another. Once again, priceless knowledge gained from this group! Thanks.
Tim

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the tubing should diminish the flavor experience imparted by a totally wooden draft hole.

Brigham uses that reasoning in promoting the benefit of their rock maple filter insert.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All of my Piersel pipes have steel tubing and they all deliver great flavor. No issues whatsoever. Much easier to keep the airway clean and no ghosting from other blends due to residue in the airway. As far as I'm concerned, all pipes should be made this way. The tubing extends past the end of the shank to form an inverse tenon and the stem rotates onto it, so no gunk trap, moisture buildup, no problems of any kind.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think the tubing should diminish the flavor experience imparted by a totally wooden draft hole.

Brigham uses that reasoning in promoting the benefit of their rock maple filter insert.
You think something to be true because a piece of advertising implies/claims it is?
Oh my.
Let's see... If you give me a billion dollars, I guarantee you will live 150 years with the healthy body of a 25-year-old the entire time. 8)
(The wire transfer info was just sent to your PM box. You MUST send the money in the next five minutes, though, or the deal is off)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
You think something to be true because a piece of advertising implies/claims it is?
Truth? I can understand their reasons for making that claim. If you want to smoke through a steel tube, knock your socks off.

I believe it was Dunhill that pioneered the steel tube draft, and they probably did pretty well with it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, a mere 50 million then. :D
C'mon, you know you want to. Young and healthy again for 150 years?
I'll even throw in non-stop pursuit by mega hot wimmen. They will all LOVE you!
I PROMISE
Deal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsR6sIsoWgU&t=10s

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I believe it was Dunhill that pioneered the steel tube draft, and they probably did pretty well with it.
Actually, steel tubes were a common practice with French carvers in the early years of the 20th century. Dunhill used a aluminum insert to cool the smoke, but they weren't the first nor were they the only Marque to use an aluminum filter.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I checked. Nope, none of them are me:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=2493&bih=1320&q=strange+guy&oq=strange+guy&gs_l=img.3...2307.9610.0.10123.29.21.8.0.0.0.59.822.18.18.0....0...1.1.64.img..3.25.793.0..0.fQFxcfThFXs

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, there is at least one that's pipe related!
strange-guy-handsome-young-man-glasses-beard-flowers-smoking-pipe-41183365.jpg

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Do all bamboo shanks have steel reinforced tubing? I've been looking at some bamboo shank pipes and was worried about how it would handle heat (don't know anything about bamboo, other than it's really strong and pandas like to eat them).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Do all bamboo shanks have steel reinforced tubing?
No. There are many ways to make a bamboo-shanked pipe, and a number of them don't involve metal tubing.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have an old Dunhill that has a shank replacement and it utilizes a section of steel tubing where the bowl and shank meets. I'll get a photo posted soon.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, I'm convinced. I pulled the trigger on this one. More photos when it gets here. Thanks for the knowledge and advice. I'm just glad it didn't cost me a million dollars!
http://www.cupojoes.com/regina-scarlatta-pencil-canted-smooth-pipe/

Status
Not open for further replies.