PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have noticed of recent that the water content of some ropes seems to be increasing. I cut up some rope today to make up a bowl, cutting regular 1/16 inch coins and rubbed the coins out and left it to breath for about 45 minutes and then loaded up my pipe. I could not get the stuff to burn evenly so I added a large Condor dottle that had dried out and the first charing light we were away. As soon as I reached the rope I was subjected smoke loaded with hot steam which is great if you want lots of tobacco juice to color your pipe! I have also noted a tendency for the ropes to come unwound so I have taken to binding them with string and then drying them out for a day or so. This seems to cure the steam issues and makes sure the don't wind up with a pocket full tobacco leaves. This appears to be the difference between what I call twist and what the US describes as ropes as twist seems to stay integral when carried loose without unwinding. Anyone else noticed the high water content?

May 31, 2012
I don't smoke many ropes/twists,

but after reading this you gave me the idea that I should be saving all my Condor dottle!
Useful stuff to have around!

:)

Oct 12, 2014
G&H ropes are coming pretty moist but I'm good with that. I think it keeps better that way. When it's fresh like that I coin cut a few weeks worth of it then re cut it into cubes to let it dry further for smoking. Run it through a clay for best results if it's on the moist side smokes fine..needing a few more re lights then normal but whatever..no steam smokes good.
" Should they get too dry, sprinkle them around your plants for fertilizer and insect repellent." Shame on you :)
PS Condor your Cotton Boll will arrive dry hopefully on Wednesday :)

Oct 12, 2014
Live shot! Can see the moisture. This is from the Rum rope that I got on Wednesday. Fresh cut.
20141123_003132_zpsuwhjvyqe.jpg
[/url][/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.