PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Three bowls tonight and I can say I like it. It's nothing extraordinary and my palate is pretty shot but, I found it a nice smoke. I thought it burned very evenly if a bit fast. The nice, smooth tobacco flavor was very satisfying. I could easily turn to it as an all day, everyday smoke. And, no lie, I swear to God, two of the bowls burned down to a fine, grey/white ash. (I believe one must write that at the end of a review. If only to establish gravitas and bona fides.)

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I have yet to smoke a bowl to fine white ash. Still it gives a waster such as myself something to strive towards.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you Warren I am really happy you liked the stuff. With a few exceptions most people seem to like W.H and hopefully they will feel the same way about the plug incarnation.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
+1 davet Can't wait. I promise to smoke it to a fine gray/white ash!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose I could get an old book or two off the shelf and relearn things I've forgotten over the years regarding tobaccos, preparation, leaf types, etc.
All I look for in my evening smokes is a satisfying experience. I do not dissect blends as to leaf, cut, flavors and etc. A new blend gets a superficial inspection and sniff. Not sure why the sniff, it tells me nothing about the possible taste. I suppose of the odor was acrid I might recoil and make a preliminary judgement. That said, I think cut, moisture level, and smoking rate must all be correct to smoke a blend down to the proverbial "fine, white ash," as I do not concentrate on the pipe in the evening. It is an adjunct to my book, TV, playing with the dawg, or quiet rumination.
Some blends do not seem lend themselves to such a finish. The sample of "War Horse" I received is well constructed, it is very nicely rubbed out and uniform, no clumping. It's very easy to get burning and minimal attention keeps it going nicely. I would say the blend was on the dry side when received, very loose, easy to pack. Further, at rest I feel I unconsciously smoke at a reasonable cadence.
I think the blend, more than the smoker determines what the residues look like at the end of a bowl. White ash is not a rarity for me. It certainly is not a regular occurrence either. And, white ash is not a goal at any time.
I'm all a twitter waiting for the plug. In the mean time I'll give "John Cotton's No. 1 Mild" a shot this evening. Other members need to remember that when it comes to tobaccos I'm easily satisfied. I like my Latakia but can be just as satisfied strolling in the woods, camera in hand, "Sir Walter" smoldering away at the end of my nose.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Warren, I'm glad that you found your bowl of War Horse to be satisfying. When one of our blends puts a smile on a piper's face, that's all the reward that I need.

"I would say the blend was on the dry side when received, very loose, easy to pack."
That's how all of Russ's blends ship. ready to smoke. Some love this, some find it disconcerting to be able to go from tin to bowl without any drying ritual in between. I'm on the fence. Now, I like to have some elbow room for a loss of humidity, but I don't like the loss of flavor that accompanies any kind of drying process that the consumer has to go through before smoking a bowl. I also don't like paying for water. Les Young, a man with a palette unrivaled among my friends, and no slouch for proper tobacco prep, prefers his blends far dryer than what I'm accustomed to. I'm coming around to his way of thinking.
That said, I think cut, moisture level, and smoking rate must all be correct to smoke a blend down to the proverbial "fine, white ash,"
Very true. Tobacco that is too moist when smoked is the #1 cause of mouth bite, gurgle and relights. But, I do enjoy a little ritual preparation of my 'baccy between tin and bowl......

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
As of yesterday, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we are anticipating that the tins will be available for sale on December 1st. River stay way from my door!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I also don't like paying for water.
This is one reason I like Russ's method: it's like old school tobacco, or rolling tobacco, ready to use. Given the high prevalence of humectants, it seems that moisture itself becomes a trouble for manufacturers, and "dry" gets around this problem. Like Semois or Five Brothers (two favorites).

Status
Not open for further replies.