PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
This one's easy. It's very close to one of my "go to" blends, IRC "Balkan Supreme" in taste. More Latakia in the IRC though I think.
"No. 1 Mild" smokes easy, stays lit with minimal attention and provides a nice "Oriental" flavor. To me there is just enough Latakia to make me ask, "Is there a bit of Lat in this?" Not sweet, just a lot of smooth tobacco flavor.
I could easily make this my preferred working tobacco. I like more "strength" in the Orientals for an evening smoke. I'm also a Latakia addict and like it "forward" as the serious reviewers say.
All and all, a satisfying smoke. I think those that prefer a nicely balanced blend will really enjoy this.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The word "Mild" or "Mellow" in the name of a blend makes me nervous about popping a tin or opening a pouch; I'm worried it will be like sucking hot air through my pipe. Trusting and respecting your opinion Warren, this post is just what I needed to crack my tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tomorrow is No. 1 Medium, Saturday will be the No. 2 and then, on Sunday the one I've been really looking forward to, the new iteration of Slices. I loved "Bengal Slices" back in the day. It was all I could do not to start with that pouch. Two more days and then . . . maybe nirvana.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
JC #1 mild is certainly one of my favorites among the upcoming offerings. Mild doesn't equate to flavorless by a long shot. I'd gotten Latakia fatigue and had started to avoid blends with Latakia in them. The Latakia is used more as a condiment here so that the other components really shine. I find it harmonious and extremely well balanced, easily an all day smoke.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo sab
My thoughts mirror yours. JC Mild is surprisingly complex, yet it is a very approachable and accessible smoke. My first time around with the pipe, in the 60s, I was definitely plugged into the Latbombs, but I was young and naive. What did I know?
Back then, I didn't care for any of the Dunhill Standard Mixtures, except the now defunct Full. Now that I am wiser and more experienced, DH Mellow Standard Mixture is one of my favorite morning starters. It's close to the Murray Mild Standard Mixture, which I like as well. Curiously, although many of the current Dunhills occupy my Top200 Cellar, Medium Standard does not suit me.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.