Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Took a seasonal job at Afton Alps, a small ski resort outside of Minneapolis. My position is lift operator which means that six of my seven days are spent outside helping people onto chairs, shoveling snow, smashing ice, and being chilly.
On Wednesdays I have off, so today I took my bicycle down to the grocery store to pick up cold cuts for my bag lunches. Before leaving I filled up a Great Dane Cob with Beacon Extra and lit up.
It was only after I got to Minneapolis that I started learning to ride a bike and the roads/sidewalks/bike-paths are icy, so throwing a pipe into the mix was a silly decision. Still, I got to and from the store without anything more than some wobbling. It was a delightful ride and I plan on doing it again!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The safety officer in me (not my real profession) screams no! no! I have to admit it sounds fun. Maybe choose bent pocket pipes or pipes with extremely short stems, so you don't get one pounded through your upper pallid in a spill. It sounds like you've embraced the climate and the new job.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Actually there are quite a few trails around the Twin Cities that are open to biking in winter. There are special "snow" tires for your bike for this season. Enjoy the warm weather looks like another cold spell next week.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Sounds fun. I enjoy riding my bike also, but have never liked smoking while riding. Sounds like you are enjoying the new life!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Congratulations on an interesting job, although not an easy one. I know smoking and peddling doesn't sound like the safest, but I must admit I have never tried it and this has me wondering if I should give it a whirl, just to see.

montalslog

Lurker
Jan 21, 2016
I enjoy an in-transit smoke. Some of my best smoking time is during my commute (1 hr.). That time is my time. Take it where you can!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
today I took my bicycle down to the grocery store
Right on! You just made the list of awesome 2-wheel pipe smokers. I needn't tell you it's a pretty small list of exceptional people. A lot of folks are unaware that riding in winter is a next big thing...many that are aware lack sufficient bone density. You are right in the sweetspot.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
HM, you have balls of steel. Smoking outside in Minnesota in the winter is not for the faint of heart. Good on you.

Jun 27, 2016
Bremen Pipe Smoker on YouTube has at least one video of himself biking around while smoking a pipe and narrating. I felt that the one I saw was worth the watch. :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Michael, have you seen these fat bikes? Check this out, but do skip the first minute...the intro music is dreadful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsm0IBxKzI

Status
Not open for further replies.