PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Last I heard it was said that FDA had said they would issue new regulations governing new taxes and any new restrictions by 06/2013. But I find no internet news about any such regulation, only individual limitations, for example Lorillard marketing new Newport cigarette variations.
Does anyone the status of tobacco regulations and the FDA?

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
In late August, the FDA said they would issue their initial intentions for regulating pipe tobacco and cigars in October. We'll see. They have pushed back this deadline in the past.
Once the FDA issues its proposed regulations, there will be a 90 comment period for the public/trade. 90 days after that, the regulations will go into effect. So, if they do issue in October, regulations would go into effect in April 2014 at the earliest.
One thing to keep in mind is that taxation will be handled seperately by the TTB/congress. When the FDA regulated RYO back in March of 2009, TTB/Congress raised taxes simultaneously.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Grow our own. Curing it would take some doing. Seems like a small demographic, like

double-jointed red-headed men with astigmatism.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, Eric, think of it as an elite, but for that reason, not a huge group. Pipe smokers are the

best folks, right?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Shoot I better stock up as much as I can now.
Thanks for the update Paul and thanks for your hard work.

Dec 24, 2012
In a different vein, what is happening down there with respect to the internet commerce issue and the collection of state taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.