PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Some of you may know I'm designing a pipe cabinet. Basically the cabinet is divided into three parts: the pipe holder section itself, a drawer beneath for accessories and supplies, and the third bottom portion for tobacco. It will probably be a little tall--about 4 1/2 feet high--and somewhat narrow.

Now in addition to being a pipe cabinet, I also wanted to scatter about various objects d'art, reproductions of Greco-Roman art and even a little post-modern art. I confess in this area I'm fond of the aesthetically well-done nude. Here's what I plan to place inside special shelves and spaces for some art: The Birth of Venus, the Rhodes Venus, a pair of modern figure studies colored in basalt, the Three Graces, the "Cold Girl" by Houdon. The Venus de Milo is a little cliche. No Rodin: he exudes a little too much sensuality for me. I wanted a reproduction of the Little Mermaid stature in Copenhagen, but would you believe there are no quality reproductions of this statue? I'd like to put some Catholic art here too, but I don't think that mixture would work. If this is something you know about, what would you suggest? The smaller the statue the better, under 11".

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I have done something similar with my cabniet, however mine is nearly 7' tall. I've put in some ceramic figurines smoking pipes, some books that fit the motif, etc. Be careful with scattering curios, they take up more space than you might think.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I did see that one, Anthony, but for some reason it didn't do it for me. Design Toscono, before the dreadful animated version came out, produced a very good rendition of the Copenhagen mermaid. But once the movie version came out, reproductions were relegated to souvenir shops and the like, just not up to par anymore.
Ocpsdan, thanks for the warning about overcrowding the cabinet. I think I will be able to design it so the major statues will be able to fit, and I'm refurbishing an ancient beautiful old desk that will have room for these figures as well, so between the desk and the matching cabinet I think I'll be able to make it work, at least with the major figures. On top of that, both desk and cabinet will be stained in a transparent forest green, and should be very impressive if I can carry it off. I'll be sure to post pictures when all this stuff is completed. Thanks for the tips, however.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Surely the statuettes for a pipe cabinet are called pipes?! :D
Fred - if you struggle with the little Mermaid then I will be in Copenhagen later in Autumn, so can pick you up a statuette then if you show me what you want beforehand. I also intend to hit the Danish Pipe Shop with every penny I can beg, borrow or steal!
Andy

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
That's a generous offer, Andy, but coming from you, not surprising. I'll PM you later about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.