State of Emergencies, Grab a Double and Enjoy!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
VA, MD, NJ, PA are all in state of emergency and New Castle County in DE has closure of all government buildings. I hope your all grabbing a double of your favorite drink and a pipe right now, enjoying in the pleasure of your homes as you miss a day of work :) My manager told me even though there's 7" of snow and inches of ice on top of that, we have to go into work, I say no and 10 mins later she tells me my company is closed lol!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
When my city got hit with about 10" a few weeks ago, the mayor declared that only emergency vehicles should be on the roads, all schools closed. . . and my wife's company posted on their Facebook page, "Of course, we expect all of our employees to show up for work today."
They got so much flak from customers about that -- "How can you expect employees to come to work when the mayor has told them not to drive!" -- that they were shamed into closing the office. The irony: She works for an insurance company, which really should have erred on the side of caution from the outset.
Glad you at least still have electricity! (Or at least battery power...) We lost ours for an entire 7 days over Christmas. Never want to go through that again.
Bob

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
We've had many day where 10" of snow had fallen, -30 degree weather, and high winds and never had work close once for weather. We're just used to it. My wife was asking last night why the news was making such a big deal about the southern states and their weather, that we get that all the time and its never mentioned. I had to explain to her that the winter weather we get in January is more then most southern states get in a decade and that the houses, roads, and simple highway support infrastructure (snow ploughs, graders, sander, etc.) aren't there when these storms hit.

She replied..... "Canadians are just tougher!"...... Now you know why I love her. lol

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
It's the several inches of ice that fell that made it impossible to drive, not the snow. It's illegal to have any kind of device on the tires that improves tread like chains or studs, so ice driving is impossible to any vehicle here. If this was Michigan, everyone would report to work anyway, but then they have studs and or chains.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
In the PNW if there is a state of emergency, Boeing won't close - be there or get cammed. I've heard that due to the weather conditions in South Carolina Boeing has closed - finally a glimpse of common sense.
Be safe everyone!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
It is true that we are used to the weather up in the Great White North, but lets not look down our noses at our southern bretheren, they simply don't have the infrastructure in place in the Southern US to handle snow like we're used to. They don't stockpile salt or snowplows and or anything of that sort to deal with. On the flip side Eric, we aren't allowed chains on our tires in Ontario and we manage just fine in snow and ice. Again simply a matter of being used to it.
Be safe my Southern friends, this weather just plain sucks whether you're used to it or not. Now where is that damn ground hog so I can kick him right in the pills?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Larry neither are we! We had almost 24" fall on us in one day last week! Schools were open, we drove to work, just another Canadian winter day (ya right, haven't seen this much snow in my entire adult life and I'm 39). It is crazy, my neighbour has a 7' snowbank at the end of their driveway, we measured with a tape measure. This weather is just insane no matter where you are or what you are used to.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Its all about what your accustom to. Most native Texans cannot fathom -40 temps but they are an everyday thing for us in winter. We drive on roads of ice and snow but I have seen Vancouver all but shut down with a small snow fall. But its no different going the other way either. I was in Texas a few years ago and some locals and I were in the sun all day, they thought it was a little warm while I had a blistered sunburn that almost ended me up in the hospital. Its all about what you used to.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Christ, you guys should visit Britain when there's a snowfall. Or rather you shouldn't, as you'll be stuck here forever. Three flakes and the whole country shuts down. They shut down all the schools on the island here yesterday, plus both bridges and there were mass power outages, cause there was a bit of wind and rain.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
We're all laughing at the south up here in Michigan. 10" means clean off your car and get your rump to work.
Be careful on the roads, my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.