PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Hello All,
I'm restarting Pipe smoking again after long (30 years) layoff. Trying to relearn what I've mostly forgotten. I've ordered a Stanwell Brush Black 185 Pipe and am interested in getting another pipe in the 40-60 dollar range to use for my Latakia blends. I love Virginia Flake Tobaccos and am interested in suggestions as to those and Latakias and the 2nd pipe. Been watching a lot of YouTube pipe videos. Pipe smokers seem to epitomize the Wild West of Youtube. Love it!
Thanks - Toadshade

Columbia, SC

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the Brotherhood. You did real well getting a Stanwell. They are great pipes for the money. Yu may weant to consider getting another one or look at Savinellis and Butz-Chaucom pipes. also think about moving up a bit in price as you'll find that it is worth the investment.

Lat blends run the gamut from sweet, like the Frog Morton series, to lat bombs like C&D's Pirate Kake. For a latakia flake I like Macbaren's HH Latakia Flake.

Others here are more expert in Va flakes so I'll defer to them.

Have fun experimenting and visit here often.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks papipeguy!! They didn't have forums like this 30 years ago!!
Toadshade

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
In the Virginia realm I would suggest Samuel Gawith full Virginia flake and Orlik Golden Sliced, very "Virginia" tobaccos. If you would like to add a little kick to your smoke try Samuel Gawith St. James Flake or Escudo, two very good Virginia Periques. I'm not very familiar with Latakia blends. I have tried Frog Morton's Cellar and Mississippi River. Of those two Mississippi river is in my current rotation and I thoroughly enjoy it! Welcome back to the pipe!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Welcome Toadshade ... I like that name!
MacBaren Virginia #1 is what I'm smoking this morning and will recommend.

It's a break from my darker Va's like Darkstar and Old Dark Fired.

This tobacco is naturally sweet and also seems to have a very light honey topping.

Overall, it's a sweet and toasty all-day type of smoke and darn good with coffee!

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks all!! I don't have an Avatar of me smoking my pipe because I don't have my pipe yet!! I gave up pipes because I was also smoking about three packs of cigarettes a day and didn't feel I could do one without the other. I don't miss cigarettes but I do miss pipes.
Toadshade

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
For Virginia flakes, I second the recommendations for Gawith Full Virginia Flake and Gawith St. James Flake. Also, I definitely recommend Freiborg and Treyer Cut Virginia Plug.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Welcome, I am currently new to the pipe smoking about 2 or 3 months but I still tell you what I think. I recommended the HH Old Dark Fired. It had come to be my favorite for a light smoke and cheaper smoke I smoke the Scott's milk and honey. That one is very smooth light and no bite with good flavor. You should also check out your local CVS for a Missouri corn cob pipe. They have them in clearance for $1.72 that is 75% off and they smoke really good. In fact I am smoking one now. Also check out the posts under "Tobacco Crawl". Each week we sample a new blend and post our opinions of it. You can read the reviews or join in. It has been really helpfull for me as a new smoker to learn the blends, types of tobaccos, expected flavor a of each type and to help narrow down what I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.